A question about mockups

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie web designer, and I’ve been tasked with redoing a non-profit’s website. I’m in the design stage, and have created high-fidelity mockups (in Photoshop) of the homepage, two of the main pages, and one subpage for each main page. The website contains ~80 pages, and is four levels deep. My question is: Do web designers usually create mockups for all of the pages, or do they just create a few before they enter the design stage? Thanks!

Hi icekeyus. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Do web designers usually create mockups for all of the pages, or do they just create a few before they enter the design stage?

In my experience, just a few pages, to demonstrate any template variations. To do all of the pages would be unnecessary and massive overkill. Often there will only be two or three variations to the basic template, so there’s no point repeating the same thing over and over.

These days, some designers don’t to a mockup at all but build up the layout in the browser, which is my preference.

Thank you so much for your help. I’ve been searching for an answer to this and hadn’t gotten anywhere till now. :slight_smile:

Are you referring to writing HTML and CSS and evaluating it by loading it in the browser as you go along? Or is there some type of browser plugin that will enable one to write code and render it as it is being written?

Kind of both, really. There are certainly tools for the latter, but I do the former.