A review of 1gb.me -- free hosting with plenty o' space!

I had been itching to transfer my blog on Tumblr to a new site for awhile now, and I’ve found 1gb.me to be an excellent choice. I’m not affiliated with the company at all, but I’m willing to write this review to gush about how good they’ve been. I’ll admit I haven’t used them for long, but I was able to easily install Wordpress there and I’ll soon be unlazy enough to move all my content from Tumblr to my new site kitschbot.com with them.

With the ability for 2 MySQL databases, PHP and Curl support, I don’t know a better way to go about hosting something like my blog. Also, oh my god, 1GB of space to put all your crap! And 10GB of monthly transfer is bliss. :smiley:

General Features [9]
Aside from super easy to use database setup interface, as mentioned PHP support, they also offer a variety of templates and script installers. I won’t being using it but they also have a WYSIWYG editor, which makes it easy for newbies to build a simple website. I only wish they support Ruby on Rails, that would be a dream.

Reliability [8]
There were a couple times I found their website to load a little slow, but I’ve not experienced any serious down time.

Customer Support [10]
I only had to take a look at their forums to realize they are fully communicative. I ran into a little problem installing Wordpress (newer versions have some bugs) and quickly found someone else’s question answered in the forums.

Pricing [10]
It’s FREE! They also provide cheap hosting on their sister site for even more space and bandwidth.

Space [10]
1GB is more than I’ll need for pictures and random things. :slight_smile:

Speed [8]
So far very speedy with a couple of hiccups, but has not made me want to pull my hair out. I’m quite impatient and switched around from quite a few other free hosts because of speed.

Bandwidth (Data Transfer) [10]
10GB a month!

SUMMARY [9]
The only complaint I have is no Ruby on Rails. For free hosting, the incredible amount of space and bandwidth is more than enough for me. I’ve already told a couple of friends to quit fooling around with blog hosts like Tumblr and just build their own blog. Definitely recommended. Go check them out: http://1gb.me

Wow, that sounds almost too good to be true. Did you find any catch like banners or other kinds of advertisements?
It’s kind of hard to believe they would offer all of that for free out of the kindness of their hearts.