A Short Discussion on HTML Encryption

Hello everyone,

I used a JavaScript encryption tool at iWebtool.com. Even though I know it can most likely be easily decoded, I still think it’s something I’d like to do. The thing that I see now is that my original file size of my home page was 22KB. After encryption, the new file size is 62KB. Yikes! :eek: Is that too large, and is there another way to encrypt the file? …or I’d like to hear more about why encryption is a wasted effort.

-Tyler

What about this HTML Encrypter application? Obviously, if I use that other tool that changes it to JavaScript escapes, the entire page won’t work with JS disabled.

It is a waste of time purchasing or using HTML encryption tools. It has been discussed in this forum and many others countless times…The browser needs to read the HTML anyway as plain text and there is nothing in markup worth stealing as such in the first place; essentially HTML elements and attributes are all documented. Furthermore if it requires JavaScript to work? You’ve just locked out search engines and certain users of browsers that don’t have JS enabled.

On the plus side, making browsers run their Javascript interpreters simply to render a web page should keep the CPU from getting fat and keep the computer nice and warm.

If your Javascript contains State Secrets and the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, I would advise you don’t put it on a web page in the first place.

(:

I meant to respond to this sooner.
I agree that encrypting the pages is really not worth the effort.’
Thanks for helping me out!

On a more serious note, the reason people don’t want software to be read is because they are selling it as doing something new and innovative, like compiled desktop software. But on the front-end, with the exception of proprietary plugins like Silverlight, everything on the front that’s new and innovative gets copied and reused. Instead, you sell the service performed by the innovative and new backend… people pay because it fixes some problem of theirs.

If you are wanting to use Javascript to hide content, you’ll need to use one of those proprietary plugins I mentioned. Or wait for the W3C to finish writing the spec for EME (Encrypted Media Extensions), which is a sort of API that would be built into all browsers and User Agents where any content provider’s DRM (or whatever protection/encryption scheme they want) can “plug into” it and so lets the user’s browser do the protection work.

However Mozilla isn’t terribly interested in this scheme as it’s written now, so maybe you’d get “some” browsers working with this.