Access mySQL using telnet

stupid question, my host has PHPMyAdmin but I don’t want to use it, I want to access it using command CREATE DATABASE forum

How can I get into mySQL command line? using telnet?

Yes, if your host supports SSH I would suggest using it. After logging in, mysql should be in your sysrtem path and ytou should be able to type

mysql -u yourusernamehere -p yourdbnamehere

Type in your password when prompted. And then you should be all set.

Thanks, I got it now, last question, do you know any website that show/teach all MySQL command in telnet? thx in advance.

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/

Check out Chapter 6

Just a point worth mentioning, your host probably doesn’t allow you to create your own databases using the CREATE DATABASE query.

lots of hosts allow you to have more than 1 database.
in that case he might have permissions to create a database, or he might have to have them create another.
depends on his host.

Originally posted by Defender1
lots of hosts allow you to have more than 1 database.
in that case he might have permissions to create a database, or he might have to have them create another.
depends on his host.

Yes, lots of hosts do allow you to create more than one database, but if they give you permission to create databases using the CREATE DATABASE query then you can create as many as you want, as mySQL will not know how many the user is allowed to create. So I don’t think you’ll find a host that has granted the create privillege. Most host control the creating of databases via another script which can check the limits setup for creating databases.

well, do you think it’s possible to write a script that’d be able to change permissions based on how many you have already.
if so, they could do what i stated :slight_smile:

I’m very new to MySQL, and have this problem: I want to setup a database (MySQL) in my web server. It is working right now (I didn’t installed directly, it is installed with a script provided for the ISP).
To access a database and make changes to it I need MY user name and MY password, of course, but what if I want to set up more databases and another users to manage this other databases? It is possible to do that?

I have read the docs of MySQL but they appear somewhat hard to understand to me. By the way I have buyed Kevin’s book. :smiley:

Thanks for any help!

this is something you’d need to ask your isp.

Originally posted by Karl

…Most host control the creating of databases via another script which can check the limits setup for creating databases.

So I guess I have to create database via Control Panel rite? Since I can’t use create database command in telnet.