Accessible video

i’m working on a site that’s going to have videos from a conference on accessibility… obviously the videos should be accessible as possible! But I don’t know much about how to facilitate that. I’d rather archive the videos through vimeo or youtube to decrease our own development time and increase exposure, but I don’t know what concerns might arise with that.
Or are there players out there that support closed captioning etc?

Obviously don’t enable ‘autoplay’ since the user should be in control. Also including transcript of all dialogue probably would be useful for some groups. You want make sure users can activate the video via the keyboard too.

Seconded, and you also simply will not reach everyone with video.

I say go ahead and use Youtube, and as xhtmlcoder suggested put a transcript up for the people who can’t access the video.

Besides, when it comes to things like lectures or roundtable discussions, I personally would rather read a transcript than sit through some slow video where I’m screaming “For crying out loud, get to the point!” (just with more profanity)

See why I can’t STAND video tutorials.

Besides, when it comes to things like lectures or roundtable discussions, I personally would rather read a transcript than sit through some slow video where I’m screaming “For crying out loud, get to the point!” (just with more profanity)

See why I can’t STAND video tutorials.

Ditto. I had too much trouble with John Allsopp’s courses here for that reason: it was almost 100% video… slower than reading, and difficulty reading the text there was on the video.

Transcripts can cost you some money if you hire a company to do it for you, but usually when colleges/universities need transcription they do it themselves. If you have any sponsors then possibly they could pay for them.

It depends how strict you want to be on yourself in terms of accessibility. I’ve previously had to validate a video site to WCAG lvl2 and it can be quite difficult.

I would echo whats already been said. Go with a service like Vimeo or Youtube and provide transcripts. Transcripts are good for

• SEO
  • Accessibility
  • Usability

So, apart from development costs they are a win win!

Hello

I’m also looking into accessible video - not sure what decision you took - but I found this in an older thread #post4213809:

“We had our site audited by Anysurfer, and they approved the use of downloadable versions as an accessible alternative to the embedded version. According to them, the advantage of this is that users can use a video player that’s familiar to them rather than be forced to use yet another custom-built Flash player. Just make sure to include captions.”

It seems a reasonable alternative - if there are problems with using keyboard shortcuts on other players - the alternative is the visitor can download the content to view in their own player set up with their preferences.

Yes, I’m not sure that was mentioned above, but you can add captions via YouTube, which is a handy option.

I sometimes download a video to watch later, and indeed I prefer to watch it in my own desktop video player.