Accomplishment Thread

This threads purpose is to just post whatever you’ve accomplished that you feel proud about. Others can compliment you on them or what not. Heck, posts don’t count towards your count anyway here.

Me-After an entire weekend spent coding/eating/sleeping, I’ve finally got my blog system up on my website, along with my first article. Kinks yet to be worked out (but I’ll need to write 4 more articles to fully engross them) but I’m satisfied with this weekends work.

I’ve tinkered with my airsoft gun and upgraded it to a very satisfactory fps and had an out of town trip last weekend which made me feel more relaxed.

cleaned the house alone. I think that was a success for me. I never do household chores. it’s my first time.

I managed to actually get out of bed before noon, impressive for me.

3rd overall in a 5k race this weekend. Nice little trophy, along with a new PR.

Congratulations. :award: What’s your preferred distance? I know you’ve done a marathon before.

Having done htese races…
(1) 10k
(1) Marathon.

I have to say 5k. I can bounce back after a 5k race within a day. The 10k (didn’t run much back then) took a bit of a toll but I liked running it. Right now, it would be awkward for me to run a 10k. It’s a weird distance for me to be able to hold onto.

The marathon is grueling. Had a massage 2 days after the marathon and still took me about a month to recover to the point I could run again. The feeling of crossing the finish line was like nothing else, although the steps it took to prepare for it just isn’t worth it.

Plus, when I say I ran a x:xx.xx marathon, people don’t know whether that’s fast or not. I don’t wnat to brag about it either. However, people can relate to 5ks because most people have done one.

I am doing my first half marathon on April 28th down in Ocean City MD (basically a vacation spot) so we will see. I like doing a “semi long” distance like 13 miles, though I don’t know how I feel about actually racing it. If I bonk out early it’s going to be a long race.

Plus, 5ks are cheaper and more abundant.

That’s interesting. My husband prefers a marathon, or at least a half-marathon. He reckons it takes him 10k to get going properly. :lol: Of course, he has the advantage of age. (Apparently, your endurance increases with age.) There was a 100-year-old guy completed the Toronto Marathon, so Running Bear has decided he still wants to be running marathons at that age. He’s got a bit to go yet. Somewhere, I have a photo of a 99-year-old finishing the 10k at the Great Scottish Run in 2010, and he was by no means last. Impressive stuff.

Apparently, the secret weapon you need for a marathon or half marathon is chia seeds - will give you extra oomph. :slight_smile:

There’s warmup and cooldown miles for that ;). Whenever I run a 5k, I often do like 2.5 miles warmup, along with 2 miles cooldown. Ends up being a decent running day.

Of course, he has the advantage of age. (Apparently, your endurance increases with age.)

Not true. Endurance increases over time, not age. I felt so bad after the marathon because I completed it based off 2 months of training (well, 3 months, but for one month I had an injury and couldn’t run anyway. Was a hardcore taper, technically.)

[qujote] There was a 100-year-old guy completed the Toronto Marathon, so Running Bear has decided he still wants to be running marathons at that age. He’s got a bit to go yet. Somewhere, I have a photo of a 99-year-old finishing the 10k at the Great Scottish Run in 2010, and he was by no means last. Impressive stuff.

Apparently, the secret weapon you need for a marathon or half marathon is chia seeds - will give you extra oomph. :)[/QUOTE]
Insane to be doing running still at that age. And Chia seeds? Never heard of them, let alone being used for running purposes.

No, honestly, it also improves with age. You can be a top sprinter at 19 or 20, but you don’t see many great distance runners under 25. That should cheer you up - you can only get better. :slight_smile:

If you ask me, it’s insane to be running at any age. :lol: Apparently, the 100-year-old only took it up in his 80’s, after his wife died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica They’re packed with all kinds of oils and nutrients and can give you a real boost. Take a mouthful at the 10-mile mark in a half marathon to stop yourself flagging. (Apparently, you need to practise taking them on the move, as they’re very small and can get everywhere, including up your nose - or perhaps Running Bear is just less co-ordinated than average. :))

I’m not sure if you have actual evidence to back this up. Seems you don’t.

This is unrelated, but many people only get better as they hit 25 or older is because in High school/college, you’re main focus is on track. Mainly speed. Plus the fact that 15 is an average starting age for many people. It’s almost impossible (I’ll outright say impossible) to be at an elite level hitting 20/21 even if you give 6 years of good running.

Ryan Hall for example, once he finished High school, he focused on moving from track to marathon. Now he’s one of the best in the world. You’re mistaking the corrolation between age/endurance, for fact. It doesn’t have anything to do with the aging process making him have more endurance. Endurance only happens after years of running. When you are young, you obviously haven’t ran long. You obviously can’t have much endurance, even if you focused on it, which noone does[/b].

I’m serious when I say that running doesn’t give you more endurance as you get older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica They’re packed with all kinds of oils and nutrients and can give you a real boost. Take a mouthful at the 10-mile mark in a half marathon to stop yourself flagging. (Apparently, you need to practise taking them on the move, as they’re very small and can get everywhere, including up your nose - or perhaps Running Bear is just less co-ordinated than average. :))

Oh, so they are like energy gels? Yeah I take them.

There is a lower age limit of 18 on most marathons, because the body is not sufficiently developed before then. World Masters Athletics produces age-equivalent charts for marathon, based on male runners being at their peak for that distance between the ages of 23 and 35. (For 5k it’s 23 - 27) Endurance is also partly psychological and older runners have the benefit of experience.

Our local half-marathon is frequently won by a veteran or super-vet, especially when run in adverse weather conditions.

So you’re agreeing with me that it’s not age, but over time?

A good part of your post was just agreeing with my points. Like with your age limit of marathon, of course the body isn’t sufficiently developed. THough not just from the biological factor. Runners just haven’t been running long enough to handle the stress. That comes with the “time” factor.

I’m not trying to agree with you or disagree with you. I find the issue very interesting and thought you would, too. Of course time comes into it, but clearly age does too, at longer distances. Otherwise, the peak ages for 5k and marathon would be much the same, and they’re not.

i wish to run in marathons too but i get tired easily

We will just have to agree to disagree. I’m not changing my stance on this ;). I do find it interesting, and it’s certainly a new perspective on the age approach, although I FIRMLY believe age has no factor in endurance (I’m not talking about peak performance age, just straight out endurance).

You have to build your way up. I thought I would never be able to do a marathon.