Acquire license remotely

I created a remote license for my product, users should downliad the key from user account. But I prefer a remote license acquire. Sript can read the domain and ip and post them to server. But how my server should know this is for which user to issue a license for his account? I was thinking of a cookie set. But is there a better way?

No idea yet?

You should probably store a unique value, userid in the database somehow. Or, use the email address that was used to make the purchase (although I don’t recommend this since email addresses can change).

Then again, you would still have to have something in place that would prevent the user from using the license more than once.

If you encrypt the source code, I’m pretty sure both zend and ioncube have features to issue licenses, so you don’t necessarily have to build a custom solution into your application.

IMO, it’s not worth the time and effort to setup a custom license check. If it’s for a website, ask for the website URL when selling your product. Maybe you could just ping your server at some random interval with the current site URL that is using your server.

You have to ask yourself: Is it worth it to piss out legitimate users VS preventing possible pirates with a solution that could get cracked anyway + spending time coding and maintaining it + spending time to answer support emails from pissed off clients that ask why the license doesn’t work + …