Ad Blockers: Don't Fight Them; Understand Them

I think there also needs to be a certain level of ethics when it comes to serving up advertizements if you want your readers to not block your ads.

1. Do not show any ads that attempt to “fake true UI elements”. E.g. ads that look like message box windows or iOS/Android alerts
  2. Keep animations to an absolute minimum. If I fear an epilepsy attack due to strobe-light like ads I will block the ads or never return
  3. We know you want ad impressions but be reasonable… a “top 20 ways to _____” article should not paginate the content over 10 pages (2 at a time) in order to try and push dozens of ads at readers
  4. Unless you are running a Pr0n site do not serve up the “There are ${randomCount} hot single ${genderPlural} in ${cityByGeoLocation} waiting to chat” type ads - they only serve to make your site look like it is happily spreading sleezy-ness
  5. If you insist on serving up the ads to “help” offset your hosting costs (do not use this as a business model!) that’s fine but make sure your ad host can serve up quickly and DO NOT disable action links/buttons until the ads have all loaded - This drives users nuts
1 Like