Add a link php?

I’ve gone through the book and become more comfortable with HTML and CSS,
how to add links etc to my web page.
I’d like to add a link to a site with that ends in index.php i can’t save that in notepad
then upload as before - what do I do to add a link?
Thanks,
Barry

Are you using the basic notepad that comes with Windows? Perhaps use a better code editor. It doesn’t matter whether a web file is called .html or .php—they are the same thing, so there’s no difference in the code itself.

Yes, I’m just using note pad bundled with windows. Can you suggest a code editor?
So I can just add my link in html code where I want it save it to the code editor then upload to the sever with the new link
and the sky won’t fall in? even if it has the .php at the end?
Thanks

I don’t follow :frowning:

If all you want to do is add a html link to a php file you can use any text editor and save the file. Both html and php files are ascii/text files. The only difference is that with a web page that has php code in it as well as potentially html code (and hence a php extension) you need a web server to open the php page in your browser. A free local web server you can use for testing a php file is xampp (more info on google).

If Notepad is having a fit saving a file when it has a .php extension, then there are lots of code editors you can try. Here are few free Windoze ones I know of:

NotePad2
DocPad
Notepad++
Crimson Editor

There are lots of licensed ones, of course, like Dreamweaver et al.

Thanks, yes I’ve downloaded xampp all very new will look into it further.
Will give notepad 2 a try as notepad 1 would not save .php for me?
Thanks all for your help.

You only need xampp if you want to test your pages on your desktop. If you are just uploading them straight to the web, you don’t need a local server environment. You just need a code editor that will save changes you make.

Great Thanks!

Change the Save as type drop down to All files. That will let you save as .php instead of .php.txt
Then get a better text editor anyway. I use Crimson Editor, even though it hasn’t been updated for 20 years. The inline calculator is very handy. I’d like to use Notepad++, but it’s just not stable enough on my system.

There must be something wrong with your computer if you have trouble running Notepad++ ! It has been a stable program all the years I’ve used it.

It’s one of those things where Notepad++ is stable in thousands of installations, but not mine, and my computer is stable in just about everything I do, but NP++ crashes.
Not sure if it’s a plugin like Zen Coding, but even with them disabled it’s not perfect. Latest version was better, but not enough.