Adding a basic Google map to a site

This is something I do very occasionally, and I’ve never had a problem, but it seems things have changed since I last used Google maps.

What I want to do is add a basic map with a single marker to show the temporary location of a business. However, it appears that I can either add just a map with no marker through Google Maps, or I have to sign up to use Google Maps Embed API, which seems to require me to sign up to Google Cloud Platform first.

Is that correct, or am I missing something?

I did one a couple of years ago using the V3 API and did not even need the user code as that requirement had been dropped.

As you do not need the user/website code now I would find any site that has a map installed; copy their code and change the marker to your own - but I would not recommend my code as it has a lot of extra functions!

I did just wonder about trying to edit the current map I have which shows the usual business location, but I’m worried if I do that and it doesn’t work, I’ll have lost that map for when the business returns to normal.

All you will be doing is editing a long and lat. What could possibly go wrong :grimacing:

I did something like that a few weeks ago whilst working through a tutorial. I can’t remember exactly what marker it used, but it definitely centred on the location. It was just Lat/Long settings that were needed. I’ll dig it out in a bit and post a snippet up.

1 Like

We’re having a few internet connection issues over here this evening - I’ll see if I can get this posted tomorrow for you.

Thanks.

(I’ve been struggling with it on and off for the last three days , so another few hours won’t matter.)

I knocked up this quick Tutorial

Thanks John.

That’s pretty much what I was doing, except that I did it while logged in, and saved the map to my account. And when I tried to embed it, it removed the marker.

I originally tried moving the marker, because Google places it at the wrong end of the street. (The street is a curious sort of Z shape, so getting the right location seemed quite important.) I eventually gave up on that, and also on any other sort of customisation, such as adding “Temporary location of business” in the description field. But even just leaving it as the default marker with no editing of any sort, it wouldn’t display the marker if I tried to embed the map. It seems I can only do that if I don’t save it first.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.