Adding an underline to a link that is generated by my theme

I am using RT-Theme 17. On my homepage http://www.gaintalent.com/temp I’ve got post excerpts that are generated by the theme, and at the end of the excerpts are “Read More” links. Screenshot of the link to which I’m referring:

I can add an underline to these links in CSS, but then the parentheses get underlined, too, which looks sloppy and is improper. If I could access the code for these links, I could add <u> tags to the word inside the parentheses, and achieve the underline beneath the word only. However, I can’t figure out where these links are generated.

I attribute this to the fact that I don’t know php whatsoever. Please advise. (Yes, I know “learn php” is the most basic solution, and I plan to, so keep the snark to a minimum, please and thank you.)

-Jorge

You’ll need to open the index.php file in /themes/mytheme/ and find the WordPress loop. You’ll see a Permalink function. Inside you’ll find the value of that function, remove the parentheses and place them outside the <a> tag.

Or, if you feel unsure what to do, open index.php, copy and paste the code below a function called “the_content” or “the_excerpt” and post it here (it will have a function called permalink in it).