Adjust JPGs To Different Screen Resolutions - Is it Even Possible

Sitepoint Members,
I noticed my header graphic (jpg) is a lot smaller when vied on a laptop. Is there anyway to fix this or is a png graphic the only solution. The graphic looks pretty terrible when converted to png.

Thanks,

Chris

In relation to the rest of the page? It’s not quite clear what you are asking here.

Ralph,
You know I have sort of the same question from a different angle. I looked up on google adjusting a website for different screen resolutions. I came up with this really good find

but then in looking at my site in different screen resolutions I saw that the browser was shrunk. I know it’s because there’s more pixels, but if it’s too small to read, it’s useless. So using the holy grail is not going to change anything because the browser is shrunk. Are you sayiing all websites and browser are small on laptops because laptop have a higher resolution? If so, what’s the puropse? Are you saying the user has the purpose because the user can change the screen resolution to whatever he or she wants and can make the site look like what I’m use to seeing my site as? If so, that would mean there is no adjusting a website to different screen resolutions.

Thanks,

Chris

Desktop web browsers have no real concept of dpi so I assume what you mean is the browser viewport differs or (screen dimensions) and that not all people browse full screen, etc.

What you seem to be wanting is a fluid design based on percentages. Obviously a 100px image will typically look smaller on a small Netbook screen rather than a desktop because it is a logical measurement. So it will typically be harder to read image text on a 10-inch than a 23-inch but 72 dpi may be set on both.

My desktop Windows OS computeer allows one to change screen resolution. Not all people use the same screen resolution. How can you get a gtaphic to adjust for different screen resolutions? Sounds like it may not be possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Percentages like I said above but obviously with such images being raster instead of vector they might not scale that well with regards to text legibility. If you mean dynamically change then that is a different kettle but the image itself will “logically” be a specific dimension and still be essentially 100px regardless even if the screen is huge or small hence why web isn’t print.

I doubt anyone would have dynamically changing screen resolution so there wouldn’t be a need for a dynamically changing graphic to adjust to automativcally adjust to different screen resolutions. I guess there aren’t large banners or other large graphics programmed for high resolution screens, otherwise what would hqppen to the large graphic on lower resolution, like desktop comuters? It would be way too big.

Really we are talking physical pixel dimensions since browsers (unlike graphics editing programs) have no real concept of dpi. Thus images are obviously shown on any screen only according to their actual size in pixels. I’d suspect most designers chose to draw on a desktop and thus pick a generic image dimension like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner#Standard_sizes or whatever the current trend is at the moment.

If browsers have no understanding of dpi, then it seems that you can’t make an image on the browser adjust to the visitor’s screen resolution. So if you created your image on a lower screen resolution, I guess you’re stuck with it being smaller on higher screen resolutions.