After chrome update td widths not working. i need an answer asap site layout looks like a scary movie

It still works fine in internet explorer.
It was looking beautiful before the update, I’m suddenly running into serious problems with the tables. I have tried changing doc type, using 100% width, but it seems to be ignoring it all together.

Put a real doctype at the top of the page. <html> is not a valid doctype. Try 4.01 Transitional. (Google doctypes)

Remove the <body> tags from within the body of the page.

Your page is full of deprecated tags and invalid code. Eventually browsers stop honoring the old stuff. And surprise, it’s an emergency? Not.

I know html is not a Doctype, reason i removed was to see if it works in default Quirks mode, but no difference, it was originally 4.01 Transitional had the same issue. Deprecated tags and attributes are still supported by browsers. you’re right but it not solution to main problem. My website width 2478px is too wide in chrome following the recent update.I don’t get it.

Why not try
<!DOCTYPE html>

Nope, It doesn’t make any difference because I think its not a Doctype problem.Depending on your browser it may look better. Here is a snap shot.

I just tried with Firefox, Opera, IE and Chrome
None looked like the snap for me.

I have Google Chrome Version 40.0.2214.91 m

Ah, right you are.
I had 39 and just upgraded to
Version 40.0.2214.91 m
And it is messed now.

My guess is this version is less forgiving of HTML / CSS errors

there aren’t any major errors, html5 or 4.01 transition doctype as suggested just doesn’t support the attributes. I have tried removing CSS using strict doc type but it still faulty and I run into the same issue with the width tags not working,

Fix the validation errors. There are some errors there that you should fix. The ones telling you that CSS should be used instead can be ignored for now. All others, fix before we continue.

No point trying to work in that messy site without making sure it’s not as something as simple as validating.

PS - REMOVE YOUR SOUND. And remove the marquee. Flashbacks to 2004…

i can’t say thank you enough this advise is amazing

It doesn’t look too bad to me in Chrome (in a manner of speaking). What is happening that you don’t like?

I’ve had a headache all day, but this issue has finally been resolved was validation problems. I would delete this thread if I knew how.I just wanted to thank you again

1 Like

That’s great, . Sorry, I didn’t notice that the issue had been resolved. Glad you found a solution. We don’t delete threads, anyhow. They may be of use to someone else at some stage. :slight_smile: