Allowing Non Members Use A Service

Hi, my site allows my members to create a fundraising page so that they can raise money for their chosen charity.

The home page of my site has a banner which includes a big ‘Create Fundraising Page’ button. If a user is logged in, they will be brought to the /create-page section of the site when they click the button, HOWEVER if the user is not logged in, they will be redirected to the /sign-up page.

I’ve been asking some of my users for feedback lately and some of those suggested that i should allow a user to start creating their fundraising page regardless if they are signed in or not, which would probably bring a higher conversion rate.

I don’t want to add another status to the Fundraising pages as this would mean that i would need to revisit / adjust a lot of queries around the site to take the new status into account SO i was thinking of adding temp fundraising table that would store the fundraising page details and then move them to the live fundraising table once the user signs in or signs up after they create their mission…

I need to think how i can relate the user to the temp record so that i can move it to the live table when they sign in / up. I was thinking of using a session which would mean that the user has to sign in / up immediately after creating their fundraising page or else the mission is lost and they would need to start again…

Can anyone suggest a better method or have any other relevant advice, thanks in advance…

You could make the temp table and make it so their email is the first thing they have to put in to move on. That’s stored along with an id. After they complete the mission, an email could be sent that has a link with they’re id (hashed) and the page takes their id and that’s how you get the information. You could make the creation have incremental steps and save the data each time.