Alternative to osCommerce

I have a great client who has current setup with osCommerce MS2 but doesn’t trust it anymore (nor do I) – just too many mornings discovering that something has “broken” in the middle of the night. Also, I’m a great business man / hosting company manager, but troubleshooting php is challenging and I often have to hire out. Does anyone have an opinion on a stable, reliable (i.e. perl) shopping cart for 30 items give or take, with SOME features (ability to choose color, add-ons, etc). Would prefer perl. I know, but I’m old fashioned. For every problem that can possibly come up with a perl script there are 50,000 that can (and usually do) come up with PHP/MYSQL. In fact … I’m thinking that in TEN years the ONLY problmes I’ve seen with my perl script are permission and ownership problems.
Thanks for any help!

If you have only 30 products, may be it is worth trying just add to cart buttons, so you will have a simple site with a list of products with add to cart/buy now buttons to make an order. That depends on your requirements to the site.

Don’t know about Perl as I use either Ruby or PHP myself. In PHP I most often use Magento Commerce but it may very well be too large of a platform for your taste since you have about 30 products. It’s quite heavy and has required some server optimization to get acceptable performance.

In Ruby I’m using Spree Commerce at the moment, and that seems like it would suit you in case you want to consider the language. It’s nicely built on Rails, easy to set up and manage, fast, lightweight, and has some add-ons. So if Perl isn’t a 100% requirement, I’d have a look at Spree.

Check out Shopify or Magento Go, I have had good experiences with both.

Exactly. They really should build a Magento Lite version. That’ll be awesome.

You can find perl shopping carts here
CGI & Perl Shopping Carts | E-Commerce Scripts & Programs

However I think that PHP shopping cart will be better for your future store.

Are you ok with straight HTML? Honestly, for 50 items or less, where very few change, I’d personally use paypal add to cart buttons. It’s a little more tasky now where you have to create encrypted code via the pp website, whereas before you could copy and paste 50 instances of the code then go in and edit just the product #/name and price. You might still be able to do that if pp allows “older” code.

Holy Mackeral! I just realized I’m responding to my own post 5 years ago!! haha!

2 Likes

[quote=“hotwired99, post:8, topic:81056, full:true”]
Holy Mackeral! I just realized I’m responding to my own post 5 years ago!! haha!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, Discourse seems to be “suggesting” very old threads, so you need to keep alert.

I’ll close the thread before anybody else offers you advice.