Alternatives to phpFoX

Clenard - I know all about phpfox and fortunately it is unencoded. It has to be.

I saw 1.5 and it seems to work, sans many of the existing features as well as the inability to have any available modifications, most of which are necessary. As far as it being completely rewritten, OOP is not the magic word. That will only make it faster and more efficient but customizing was still a total beast. Templating is improving. Many of the existing 1.1 add-ons (some of which are no longer available) will need to be made available or part of the base software.

Most important is that the entire rewrite won’t be ready until version 2.0, which is a long way off. Am I saying that it might not be a great thing when done? No, I’m saying it could be. But for those who are hoping to get the upgrade by year’s end or at least January of 2007 I don’t think it’s happening by then.

if you are talking about this part:

"6. Selling or Transferring Ownership Rights of a Website Powered by PHPizabi.
You must submit a “Transfer of License” request to Reality Medias 10 business days prior to transferring ownership of a PHPizabi powered website, and/or database compiled of member/user data obtained through a website powered by PHPizabi. The “Transfer of License” form can be obtained at {link}.

A “Transfer of License” request is subject to a 15% royalty fee of the total sale and/or transfer price. Royalty fee is due 30 calendar days upon completion of stated sale and/or transfer in US ($) Dollars, payable by certified bank check or bank electronic transfer. The License agreement shall be void if the terms of the “Transfer of License” are not met within 30 calendar days of completion of the sale and/or transfer.

When selling a website running and/or using PHPizabi, the purchaser must be made aware under any and all conditions that PHPizabi is available for use free of charge, and the core PHPizabi package cannot be included in the sale price.

You shall add the following disclaimer to any notice of sale or transfer of ownership, for the full duration of notice, displayed in 12 pt. Arial Bold, in such a way to be noticeably visible.

The following website offered for sale and/or transfer as described herein is Powered by PHPizabi. PHPizabi is a trademark of Reality Medias. For more information, please visit: www.phpizabi.net"
it is of course sad, but I don’t see a big problem in this.

Slinky,

I’m not sure what you’re saying in a few sentences but as for being written in OOP and the Templating: OOP actually is slower than Procedural coding but it leaves the ability to create Plugins much, much easier as it’s modular and not thrown together as most Procedural code is. Anybody with experience in OOP with PHP can easily create Plugins. I’ve already finished my first Plugin for 1.5 and need to test it over the next few days to make sure it’s ready for the public…

The Templating System is based on Smarty so of course it’s VERY easy to design the templates now if you have design experience.

As for 2.0 I’m not sure what you’re referring to… there will be new additions to 2.0, that’s all. Things that never existed before such as Supported plugins (PHPBB, IPB, etc) will be released in this version, that’s all.

1.5 RC1 will be the same as 1.1 with brand new, much improved, code, templating system, much more efficient Queries, etc. The Speed issues that were being reported in the past are gone… not 1 issue in the bug reporting forum has come up regarding speed in any way.

As of today I can publicly say that 1.5 will have the Flash Chat with the download…already integrated. vBulletin integration as you can read about here:
http://www.raybenc.com/2006/11/26/vbulletin-integration/

Basically 1.5 was to completely rewrite the code, clean up excessive queries and/or resource intensive system calls/requests and get ready for 2.0 which would have the vb, ipb, phpbb and other plugins like the Video Script, etc.

But they’ve taken their time (a good thing in my book) before releasing RC1 so they could test the product through themselves, scripts, the community and 3rd party security groups. Which has turned out successful as even all the other PHPFox owners I’ve spoken to are excited about 1.5 even as Beta1 (at the time) was just released… it’s so much better than all the other scripts - it really isn’t funny. :wink:

So while I’m not here to argue with anyone - I do want to clear up any confusions you’ve had.

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, in 1.5 or 2.0 there will be a Windows Version as well… and they’re also working on a PHP5 Compatible version but I’m not sure if that’s in 1.5 or 2.0, yet.

Not a problem? Are you kidding me? Who dreamed up this license?

1. I think it’s damn arrogant for the alicia designers to think that they are entitled to a 15% royalty on any sale of a site built on their license. Considering that there might be 100 times the amount of dollars invested in the site, this is a HUGE chunk. See above. Are you telling me they deserve almost 100K and can provide nothing in return other than buggy software that should cost a fraction of that amount? So I spend 150K on marketing and other development, sell my site for 700K and this entitles the phpizabi people a royalty in an excess of $100,000? Are you joking?

2. They claim that they own the DATABASE too according to the below. So if you compiled 300,000 members, you can’t transfer those members and their data out of Alicia phpizabi without paying them a royalty fee… are you kidding me?

“…or database compiled of member/user data obtained through a website powered by PHPizabi.”

1. Most transactions don’t include all of the cash up front. Remember the good old Internet boom days? If the sale is valued at $1MM and it consists of 100K in cash and the rest in stock, then you are stuck not only paying ALL your cash but also an addition $50K of your own money to this company!

The entire slipshod way Alicia/PHPIzabi was run turned me off. As I said before, at least Francisco Burzi had a long running application that worked and was full featured before he had the idea to create an “insiders club” and kill his project. Making Alicia into some special cloaked development was a marketing gimmick that got many people to blow $10 and come away with nothing but promises and yet another buggy release. The above license is ridiculous and good luck if you want to use it.

Considering what I just read about licensing, if there ever was a thought I had to consider this software it’s long gone now. Consider this a “non-option” for the indefinite future unless there is some world changing event occurs.

Without getting too deep into details and clarifying my post and yours, etc. bottom line is that version 1.1 was still a mess. Considering the amount of time it took to screw around with a 1.1 database (I am working with a social networking web site that is running it) and the response from phpfox I am not confident.

Now I’m glad you seem to be marketing and selling good things for phpfox and that’s great. But I do not have your optimism that this product will be out so soon. I would be thrilled if they got the PHP version right in the near future. To even start talking about a Windows version is a good indication of such a lack of focus where one is trying to eat far, far more than they can currently chew.

Now if you think that I’m being a pessimist, I dare you to talk to any 10 phpfox site owners who have had to do upgrades from 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 to the present. I guarantee that they will tell you of the insane manner in which they had to deal with the process. Let’s not even talk about the 137.5 patches that have since been released since version 1.1 and the manner in which they are presented in the forums. I could go on but I won’t. 1.5 is still very much a beta and not really ready for release, IMHO. There are too many necessities that are just not in there as I said, everything from the need for real email validation to simple navigational front end issues.

Yes, they are making good faith efforts to try to clean things up. If you are in any way connected with them then for Heaven’s sake tell them NOT to start on a Windows version and get one PHP version right first. Doing things half baked twice over doesn’t help anyone.

Slinky, I was just saying that I don’t see a great problem for a smaller community which I am not planning to sell. Neither I am planning to invest huge amounts of money into it. Though it is ridiculous to say that they own the database generated with their script.

Ditto ^THAT^!

Understood completely and no worries. :smiley: I was just so shocked when I saw that license that my post was more about them than it was about your comments. I ain’t paying no ten bucks to tell them what to do with their license. :smiley:

I already paid so I will have to deal with it :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what you’re referring to when you mention “one PHP version right”… they’re all PHP dude. Windows IIS and Linux/Apache setups are what I’m referring to.

Now you seem to know about 1.5 well enough - but you seem to be missing the fact that while you’re putting 1.5 down - you’re the only one thus far. Are you even on the PHPFox forums? The bug reports are being reported by more than 30 webmasters plus the new developers (they have approximately 5 new developers now) and the reports are about half of what 1.1 is CURRENTLY.

You can believe what you want - but some of your sentences are way out of wack… believe me - 1.09 sucked in my opinion and 1.1 cleaned up alot of those problems but still sucked in many, many ways for some of us. But I’m finding it hard to believe that you’ve been testing out 1.5 at all since you seem to be giving misleading “facts”? :nono:

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding you but I’ve read your comments twice now and a few sentences make absolutely no sense… honestly, have you been testing 1.5 at all? have you been to the Bug Reporting Forum? So far the only negative thing about 1.5 is the vB integration that seems to be a lot less buggy than the last version but still not 100%, yet. Other than that - 1.5 RC1 will be released next week, at the latest. :wink:

“Konsort is the new engine that will power all our sites in the near future. Konsort will be fully completed by version 2.0 and we decided to release a version in between our current release version 1.1 and 2.0. Which is where we are now with version 1.5. This is just a stepping-stone to version 2.0…

The above quote is directly from the horse’s mouth. You can get all excited about version 1.5 of PHPFox. But the fact is that it isn’t what it should be until version 2.0 and right now they are at 1.5. And for those who spent months with version 1.1 and the support issues which even those guys couldn’t help with, then anyone knows that my expectations and gripes are, to quote My Cousin Vinnie: “dead on balls accurate.”

In case I wasn’t absolutely clear, I’m hoping that the PHPFox folks get ONE released version right before they begin another. Right now they haven’t released one good PHP version and it’s all promises so they should NOT even begin to start talking about Windows.

Now to anyone not selling PHPFox (we can sell discounted versions too) I believe that I make perfect sense. In fact, I’ll say that to most who struggled with the inability for the PHPFox guys to handle the horrific upgrading problems, they will second, third, fourth and one thousandth the motion to halt the development of Windows versions until they get one version right and use it to begin development elsewhere. If I can quote at one point, time to wait to merely upgrade a database from an earlier version was up to one month’s time. That should tell anyone something about putting priorities in order. I’m cautiously optimistic and giving them time but not happy if the plans are, once again, ridiculously ambitious for the sake of not wanting to maximize cash input at the expense of the product.

I’m not going to reply to you any more. I believe you’re now feeling a little foolish and trying to attack me for no other reason than the fact that you realize you’re just rambling on now. I won’t indulge in your childish antics.

Thanks for trying though :wink:

Talk about absurd. Nobody cares to pick a fight with you and your attempts to deflect valid criticism and scream “personal attack” undermines your own credibility and professionalism. Perhaps you’re getting all defensive because you have hung out a big shingle selling PHPFox at a discount. The most credible salespeople are the ones who can concede the obvious shortcomings – something even the PHPFox people I spoke to admitted immediately.

Fact is that I have been working with a company using PHPFox from versions 1.0.3 through the current. I have had long conversations with them. We have also expended significant time and resources trying to get their product to work. Moreso, when PHPFox themselves say that version 1.5 is a stepping stone to 2.0, trying to defend the obvious isn’t going to help your case.

For the last time, I commend and applaud their efforts to fix what really needs fixing. They are making progress and trying to right the ship. I can only hope they don’t take wrong steps along the way in trying to get out several new versions for the sake of additional revenues while not focusing on just getting out the one that is done properly – version 2.0. Until the time it is out version 1.5 remains a very good work in progress.

Talk about absurd. Nobody cares to pick a fight with you and your attempts to deflect valid criticism and scream “personal attack” undermines your own credibility and professionalism. Perhaps you’re getting all defensive because you have hung out a big shingle selling PHPFox at a discount. The most credible salespeople are the ones who can concede the obvious shortcomings – something even the PHPFox people I spoke to admitted immediately.

Now to anyone not selling PHPFox (we can sell discounted versions too) I believe that I make perfect sense. In fact, I’ll say that to most who struggled with the inability for the PHPFox guys to handle the horrific upgrading problems, they will second, third, fourth and one thousandth the motion to halt the development of Windows versions until they get one version right and use it to begin development elsewhere. If I can quote at one point, time to wait to merely upgrade a database from an earlier version was up to one month’s time. That should tell anyone something about putting priorities in order. I’m cautiously optimistic and giving them time but not happy if the plans are, once again, ridiculously ambitious for the sake of not wanting to maximize cash input at the expense of the product.

:lol:
[SIZE=1]
[FONT=Verdana]Your childishness is great. Especially the rebuttals and excuses for why you don’t pay attention to what you’re reading. Reminiscent of my 6 year old nephew who has ADD.

Maybe you should read a little closer next time.
Oh well… I won’t argue with you as you’re a Griefer, plain and simple.[/FONT][/SIZE]

For those who want to see the vBulletin Integration with PHPFox in action - you can go directly to:

http://forums.phpfox.com/members/

It’s in beta but it seems to work great so far :slight_smile: :blush:

You aren’t arguing with me because you’ve got no reply. Are you using a method we might get from your FREE MARKETING BOOK? If you’ve got nothing to say, change the topic and call the other person a baby and a pessimist. It’s clear to any six year old that you’re evidently shilling for PHPFox and I’m sad to discover that now.

Amongst other things, I run a phpfox site for a corporation that has spent tens of thousands of dollars on it. You can hype up 1.5 all you want but there is a very good reason we haven’t upgraded and neither have many other sites. Point blank we have all installed too many mods (aka paid fixes) to handle basic tasks that PHPFox doesn’t do. In addition, the database upgrade to 1.1 itself was a nightmare we don’t want to revisit and are safer just waiting for completion of this project, in the event we don’t find something else to switch too that proves reliable. And for those who couldn’t read (and what you ignore the first time), the PHPFox folks themselves admit that 1.5 is still in a transitional state to version 2.0, even though they’ve done a very good job so far for what it is.

As I said, any credible salesperson will concede the weakness of their product. While PHPFox has many positives and is “pretty good” at what it does, it is still far from the holy grail. Your attempts to tell us what gold 1.5 is means you think everyone here is an idiot and you can continue to sell in the same fashion as what is printed in your FREE marketing book – which you get less than what you pay for. In essence, your continuation is making people think that PHPFox is dishonestly representing itself to be more than it really is at the moment. But that’s just you spreading the hype.

For those who want to see the vBulletin Integration with PHPFox in action - you can go directly to:

Did anyone even ask for this? The promotion goes on, and on, and on… Unfortunately I now understand perfectly now why the BuddyZone developer went ballistic on me, thinking I was you and was so upset, giving me a lecture about PHPFox and mention of question business ethics and harassment. Poor guy, he probably really did get a barrage of questionable emails and “the treatment.” I’m sure he’s giving PHPFox a run for the money since his product does work rather nicely from the front end and is much less confusing. It’s too bad he doesn’t know how to market it or align himself.

So in short, PHPFox does work and the guys there seem to be doing a good job in getting it to a good place. They’ve been pretty honest with me, especially from the early versions, that it really needed an overhaul and I went with them because I liked that kind of honesty. However, expect it to be a while until it becomes a true out of the box solution that your users can use easily and quickly and that won’t be something of an administrative liability in some areas. Expect to spend money on “must have hacks” that should be built into the system and I’m guessing probably will when version 2.0 comes out.

I’m actually disappointed that you aren’t a mature professional, Clenard.

The fact of the matter is - you’ve attacked me and my signature because you couldn’t cope with the fact that you barely know that difference between what Windows and PHP is…

I’ve got PM’s in my box thanking me for all of my help with SEVERAL products, as well as PHPFox…why? because I KNOW THE PRODUCT. So YES, I do “promote” products if I believe in them, thanks for sharing that valuable information.

The reason I even replied to you was because YOU BROUGHT UP MY NAME for no reason. Then you make claims about products you obviously know little about. I corrected you on those and agreed with you on some points and then you claimed I was NOT.

You’re motives on this site are obvious. You’re a griefer and you continue to prove it. Again, I come to this site and see you WAY OFF TOPIC making rediculous claims and playing the “see I told you so!” game. Get a life and let this topic get back on track… I’m not going to play your tough guy on the internet game because it’s childish and not needed.

Learn about things before you claim to know them so well… faking it until you’re making it hardly works in real life.

As for your attack on the free ebook… wow, dude… you’re just making a pure @ss out of yourself in this thread. I found the ebook and let people grab it because It’s a great FREE product that people don’t have to purchase or give their emails for.

Get a life and let this topic get back to normal … if you want to bash a product for no reason - go for it. Agreeing with someone who you argued with 3 days ago and bashed earlier in this thread to “attempt to win an argument” shows the kind of person you are.

Your signature in bright red and blaring capital letters speaks for itself. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the marketing kitchen… BTW, what is Windows? :wink: LOL.

Considering we spent over ten thousand dollars on developing a PHPFox product, I think it’s safe to say we know well enough what it can and what it cannot do. To even say we don’t is insulting and obviously ridiculous. I guess we’ll take your word for it that the tons of emails you’ve received for all your help with several products makes you an expert amongst experts. If the fact you are a promoter wasn’t valuable info I guess we now know for sure that you are a PHPFox promoter. Note the conflict of interest.

The reason I even replied to you was because YOU BROUGHT UP MY NAME for no reason. Then you make claims about products you obviously know little about. I corrected you on those and agreed with you on some points and then you claimed I was NOT.

All I said in a reply to you was that the Budddyzone developer thought I was you. You corrected nothing since you addressed almost none of the points I raised.

You’re motives on this site are obvious. You’re a griefer and you continue to prove it. Again, I come to this site and see you WAY OFF TOPIC making rediculous claims and playing the “see I told you so!” game. Get a life and let this topic get back on track… I’m not going to play your tough guy on the internet game because it’s childish and not needed.

So you’ve ingeniously figured out that my reasons for posting is that I have nothing else to do in life but just “be a griefer.” Yeah, I come here just to be a downer. I’m keeping my responses short and don’t care to prolong a flame war and, of course, there are more threads that need more pessimism.

Learn about things before you claim to know them so well… faking it until you’re making it hardly works in real life.

Thanks for letting us know we’re all idiots and faking knowledge. Been doing it for years and with GPL software you may have used. All the experienced people who worked on the PHPFox site at our company are are idiots too, including the ones who have worked with PHP for years.

I’ve long tired of this conversation and don’t care to make it a flame war. You can have the last word. Go ahead, free punches.

Now back to what we were talking about – alternatives to PHPFox and the current state of PHPFox. Today we actually decided not to make any more concerted efforts until version 2.0 comes out and may take a different direction if we don’t see progress where we need it to be over the next few weeks. Our alternative is that we have bought a site that uses an in-house, proprietary solution that we’ll consider porting over the user base to. For the less serious projects, I think it’s a tough call at the moment although the next 6-8 weeks could get interesting. The market is so hot for these communities that I wouldn’t be surprised if there were other players making entrances.

My 2 cents on PHPFOX, I had it, but ended up selling my license to someone who wanted a second one.

I believe it’s a decent product, with a lot of potential, but isn’t at that level where I would drop any of my projects to work on that. I still found that it had a lot of work to be done before it became a good release.

just my 2 cents.