Amazon S3 or other AWS Experiences?

So… I’m terrified of this. I’m afraid of waking up one day to a $15,000 bill that I can’t pay because something on my page got linked on a super popular site, like Reddit or something, and received 10million hits while I was asleep. It’s mostly an irrational fear, but it’s still a fear.

Has anyone else used this? Could you share some incite of if it’s worth it and maybe some do’s or don’ts?

Is it feasible for a small (personal) project that’s 90% based around users uploading images and viewable on the index page? I’m thinking it might be way overpriced for this or I might just be calculating it wrong.

Off Topic:

Not sure if this is the right area to post this or not… Let’s see if someone is able to answer this question but if you don’t have a good answer, I’ll move it somewhere else. My own experience is irrelevant because I used them years ago and for a sort period. No millions of visits that could make me think that I’d be spending more than I thought I woudl :lol:

Any experience is better than no experience. :slight_smile: I have none.

But it scares me that when I ran a test on an image to see how many hits it could possibly generate, a 200kb image on Reddit was downloaded 4000 times in under and hour and it wasn’t even a popular image. That’s 800mb in under an hour for something that wasn’t even really seen by many people by Reddit standards. With variable pricing based on requests and bandwidth, that scares the crap out of me to use.

[ot]

I use this http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post so I don’t pay much attention to where things are posted. :slight_smile: Feel free to move it anywhere you want.[/ot]

But that’s the thing… It worked for me but my traffic was (and is) so little that I can’t really say what happen if you get an image so popular :slight_smile: But I guess if you’re worried about images you can always store them on pinterest or some other similar service