An Introduction to the Genesis Framework

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/an-introduction-to-the-genesis-framework/
It doesn’t matter whether you’ve been using WordPress for years, or if you’re just starting out. WordPress can be a complex content management system with a lot of options. These options include themes, plugins, products and services. It’s very easy to get overwhelmed with everything. That’s why it’s important to find the best products to make your life easy. One way to do this is to use a trusted theme framework. One of the most popular theme frameworks is called the Genesis Framework by StudioPress.

What is a Theme Framework?

You may have heard of WordPress themes, but you might not know what a theme framework is. A theme framework is a WordPress theme structure that is put in place to be built upon. Think of a theme framework like the framework of a vehicle. The only difference is, you can build on top of this framework to build any type of theme that you’d like.

Theme frameworks make it extremely easy to create the look and feel of any type of website you want.

Why Genesis?

Genesis is among the most popular WordPress theme frameworks, let’s take a look at some of the main reasons why.
Continue reading this article on SitePoint

1 Like

I think you forgot to put a link to Genesis. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @ezekg - good point! This has been updated :smile:

re: " A theme framework is a WordPress theme structure that is put in place to be built upon."

Moi? It would be wise to start saying WordPress theme framework.

Why? Because how these tools use (abuse?) the word framework is much different than how the rest of the design / dev industry uses the word. But then again, we’re talking about the WordPress way, and that’s always subject to questionable best (?) practices.

It seems fairly obvious in the context of this article that we’re talking about Wordpress specifically. And in my opinion, framework is a fine word to use here. If the use of the word “framework” when discussing Wordpress theme frameworks confuses a developer, especially after five minutes or less reading about them, than I’m questioning whether they’re capably a developer or not?

I like the overview, but as a developer, this article does nothing to make me want to use Genesis. I guess I’d rather see an “Intermediate look at the Genesis Framework” or something for that purpose. But as a broad introduction to the concept, if one wasn’t familiar with either theme frameworks as an idea or Genesis in specific, this seems to suit rather nicely, I suppose.

As a developer. I use genesis extensively to design my clients website. I find their frame both easy and refreshing to utilize.

@jeffreylees - Yes, *in the context of this article." I agree.

However, there are plenty of WP “developers” who are born on raised on WP and aren’t really aware of the realities beyond WP. Ultimately, they speak (so to speak) and that impacts the broader impression of WP and WP devs in the broader design & dev community. Is it really good that there are people who think “Yeah, I use a framework. I use Genesis” and don’t really understand the WP-centric context (read: misuse?) of the word? You’re suggesting that’s okay. I’m not okay with that.

Fact: That ongoing situation makes some of us, more of us, uncomfortable. If WP wants to run with the big dogs (so to speak) then we need to stop using big dog words just to pretend we’re in a big dog world. We need to stop playing let’s pretend. The reality is framework is the wrong word. Zend, for example, is a framework. Genesis, with all do respect, is no Zend.

Prehaps UI Driven Theme Design & Dev would be more accurate than (a bastardized use of) “framework”?

You’re suggesting that’s okay.

I’m not. I’m suggesting that, in this particular article, where it’s very understood what we’re discussing, using an abbreviated term is… just fine :wink:

Also… I think a reality check might be useful - Wordpress is the big dog. Take a look at usage percentages - it’s scary.

And the word “framework” is a pretty generic word. I’m comfortable using it for all of those - and I personally would just qualify the word. “PHP framework” “Wordpress framework” - comparing these things is like someone mistaking an apple for an orange. They’re both fruit, generically, but they’re nothing alike. It’s generally that person’s fault if they can’t use context clues :wink: I learned about those when I was very small, not sure about anyone else.

You’re missing the point, and what happens when the context shifts without there being an awareness that the original context was for all practical fictional.

Sofor you it’s okay for WordPress to bastardize (read: turn their back on best practice) the use of a word? To hell with that the industry standard is?

Clearly, that’s silly. And people wonder why WP can’t get any respect in the “real world.”

In the world of web design and web dev, (for example) Zend, etc. is a framework. Everywhere expect is the World of WordPress?

Oh come on now. I have work to do and you’ve got me LMFAO.

Really? I’d like to read the author / page that says that.

This is a somewhat irrationally charged conversation on your end, so I’ll give you the last of my thoughts and then be done here.

“framework”:

the basic structure of something : a set of ideas or facts that provide support for something

From the dictionary. There is no authoritative author that decides upon the definition of words - except perhaps the dictionary.

WP has massive respect in the real world. As I said, take a look at market shares. If you personally don’t respect it, that’s your prerogative, but it’s naive to say that it’s not both widely used and respected as a platform.

You’re missing the point, and what happens when the context shifts without there being an awareness that the original context was for all practical fictional.

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say there. Context always matters.

Sofor you it’s okay for WordPress to bastardize (read: turn their back on best practice) the use of a word? To hell with that the industry standard is?

Best practice? On the use of a word? Industry standard? Show me where you’re getting an industry standard definition of the word “framework” ?? Doesn’t even make sense.

I think I’m content to agree to disagree with you on this one :wink:

I’m just the messenger brother. Your disagreement (or did you mean misunderstanding) is not with me.

For example, read the first sentence of this:

And on Facebook the lead actually added “CSS” to the “scope” of the topic. Why do you object to honesty and clarity? What are you wanting to hide? :slight_smile:

I don’t know what else to tell you other than your objection is a great example of exactly what I’m getting at. That is, WordPress is pretty much out of touch with everyone else in the dev world.

I would like to see a more in-depth look at this framework. I’ve tried using it on a couple of sites and honestly, I don’t get it. To me a good framework should cleanly separate logical layers (data, business logic, presentation, etc.) But Genesis just appears to be a bunch of actions that you hook into with a mess of echo statements and open/close php tags.

But that said, I know some smart people who use it and swear by it, and have seen some really well performing sites built with it.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @jeffreylees

I guess I’d rather see an “Intermediate look at the Genesis Framework” or something for that purpose.

Couldn’t agree more, we’ve got this in the pipelines! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @ciaranmg1 – We’re working on more detailed Genesis topics, stay tuned.

1 Like

The author already uses the fully qualified nomenclature “theme framework” several times before abbreviating later in the article - what more do you want?

You mean like in the headline / title? Because who scans / skims and only reads that? Never happens, yes? A thought is never formed / reinforced when that happens? Never. Ever. In a Taylor Swift sorta way? :slight_smile:

Besides, it was a general statement about how “framework” is used / abused in the context of The WordPress way. Or perhaps you skimmed my comments to quickly. Ya think? lol

Forget I even brought it up. Why do I bother? Have a nice day.

Good day

Am I correct in assuming that one can migrate a wordpress site to the Genesis framework.

I have a wordpress site http://renwickplatinum.co.za and I need to migrate the site as is to another CMS system. My friend showed my how easily one can penetrate the site even though I tried to secure it the day before. It is a little bit better now because of another plugin I installed but I feel it is only time before there will be an intrusion. I need all the functionality without the risk involved with wordpress.

@Marius_Kritzinger, from what I read in the article, Genesis is a Theme framework that sits on top of Wordpress, it doesn’t replace Wordpress. So you will still have WordPress and you’ll have a plugin/theme that sits on top of your wordpress install.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.