Android Smartphone & Skype - How does that work?!

Well, I’m going to make the leap into the whole mobile gadget world, finally…but I have a question that neither Skype nor the local mobile shops seems to be able to answer for me. All I do know, is that I’m told I need Android 2.2 atleast in order to use Skype properly. I have googled this topic already but seem to be getting the same obscure results and getting no further on. In the mobile shops I’m told, well yes it might work, that’s not good enough to me - that means I have to buy something that may or may not work, no thank you! :nono:

Basically, I want to be able to Skype to Skype using a smartphone over my WiFi. Am I right in assuming that once you download the Skype app, say both users follow this process, one would be able to use Skype as you would do if you were both sitting at the computer across your WiFi/Internet? I don’t need to purchase Skype credit or have some sort of additional internet subscription because I’m using this Skype app or something? As you can see, I’ve no clue about these new mobile gadgets, but circumstances now require me to get up to speed fast! :smiley:

Hopefully someone out there who has one of these high flying phones might be able to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance!

Hazel

Yes. On my newish android (Motorola Atrix), it actually gives me the option to use skype for any outgoing call when I’m on 3g, 4g or wifi. It is nothing more than another skype client device, like your tv. Or your laptop.

Ooh, forgot about this thread :blush:

Thanks wwb, that’s a nice phone btw! I managed to get my hands on a samsung europa smartphone to try it out and it works like a dream. Exactly as you said above, I was lucky to find one to try as even in the shops there was no opportunity to try it out before I bought it which is totally ridiculous. Once you void the seal it’s non-refundable, how crazy is that? Obviously, I’ll be now buying the phone elsewhere, so that makes me feel better! Thanks for letting me know that it does work!

I’ve another question if you don’t mind, is it advisable to update Android on your phone automatically/when prompted? I’ve read lots of horror stories across the web from users who have done this but the update renders their phones useless, is that just over-exaggerating or something for genuine concern? Thank you! :slight_smile:

I’ve always been skeptical about updating phones. If it is already working as you expect why do it? The only reason to update is if it will address some critical issue you have experienced or will be adding a new feature you will find useful. My answer would be to avoid it unless you need to or unless it will be patching some security holes.

Going back to your first post I’m not surprised that no one in the stores would give you a definite answer about using skype. They want to add services not potentially make you remove them. Obviously if you can use skype to make calls you would slide down to the lowest voice plan possible. skype to skype is free but if you want to be calling numbers you would need to pay skype but that’s relatively cheap as well. Programs like skype becoming so popular are probably why the cellphone companies completely threw away data only plans for smartphones. On both at&t and Verison such a plan use to be 35$/mo. It took them a while to catch on that smartphone users were making calls and texting over just data. That is why they made having voice services mandatory. They want to suck as much money out of you as possible.

Go to the android market and the skype entry should tell you what version of android is the minimum required. I’ve got it on my HTC Desire and one thing I’d say is that it works better when over wifi rather than 3g. I’ve also got sipdroid that I use as an endpoint to a landline number that goes to voip.

With regards to updating I’ve not had any issues. Always best to ensure you have full battery before installing a major update.

Roger that, I totally agree - I’m just a bit weary I guess because it’s my first “smartphone” so to speak and I just don’t really wanna mess it up on the first day! I guess if there is an update, I’ll investigate it and see what user-submitted feedback is, if any. I know say with my PS3 there were a few iffy firmware updates and they actually caused a few PS3’s not to work, so yeah I’ll do some research first, as with my PS3! :tup:

Well I’ve never been a fan of Bill Pay - I’d rather be in control of what I’m spending so I always opt for a Pay As You Go phone - sure, there are limitations etc, but I’d rather pay in advance than be stuck to a contract! I’m sure Bill Pay is good if you tend to use your phone a lot and can take advantage of a monthly offer but for someone like me, it’s not really cost effective. I understand your viewpoint with regard to their stubbornness and of course you’re right - I guess I was just peeved at the idea of the lack of flexibility on their part and lack of knowledge about the product itself, I mean they couldn’t even tell me what version of Android was installed when I asked! Luckily we have Google & Web Forums! :smiley:

Thanks for that battery tip :tup: I’ll keep it plugged in just incase!

I’ve checked out the Android market and the apps - I can’t wait to get started, hopefully all going to plan I’ll purchase tomorrow. I’ll be using WiFi, as you say it seems to produce better results in terms of quality and connectivity. I’m not really sure what you mean in terms of sipdroid, off to Google I go! So much for me to learn now, it’s exciting! :smiley:

This may very well sound like a silly question but I’ll ask it anyway - Do I need to be thinking about firewalls or anti-virus here at all? I’ve seen some apps on the Android Market and it has me curious, I didn’t really think about that! :shifty:

On updating – remember, for the folks who’s update goes smoothly they’ve got no reason to post on web forums about their experience. So there is probably a bit more noise than signal there. I haven’t had mine long enough to update, so I can’t comment. Typically, for devices I need to work, I usually let someone else try it first just so I don’t pay the bleeding edge tax. But I’d probably update within the first week. The other issue is that 'droid updates usually get you key or neat features.

:tup: Yes, I had a similiar mindset in terms of user submitted experiences and/or reviews of Android etc, you’ll always have those who over exaggerate and moreover those who are incompetent with either their knowledge of the product or perhaps purchased something completely incompatible to their set up - lots of angles to take into consideration - I did need to carry out some research of course but in the end now I have made the correct decision and that’s an informed one :tup: I just purchased the smartphone today and all is working fabulous for me, really delighted with the quality of the calls and amazing features, how have I been surviving all this time without it? Lots to learn now! :stuck_out_tongue: