Any other Firefox users experiencing this?

This seems to be an issue specific to Firefox, and it occurs for me even if I disable all add-ons, but so far I haven’t found anybody else who’s experiencing the same thing. Here on SitePoint, code blocks initially appear as if they have “spoiler” text in them.

The concealed text can be revealed by highlighting or scrolling.

It doesn’t happen every time, but often enough to be pretty irritating. It seems to happen mostly (only?) the first time I view a code block; it generally (always?) displays correctly if I return to it later.

Is anybody else experiencing this, or do I have a gremlin all my own?

hmm…

#something{border:1px #445599 solid;}
.somethingelse{width:100%; height:200px;}

Nope, just you.

I’m on V 33.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that this occurs when I view other members’ posts containing code, not when I post code of my own. And as I said, it doesn’t happen every time, but pretty often.

Haven’t noticed it so far

Post some code for us. I’ll screenshot it.

But as I say, it doesn’t happen every time. So a better test would be to head over to the PHP, CSS, or JavaScript categories - preferably one you don’t often visit, as it seems to happen more (or possibly always) the first time I view the code - and run through a few topics you haven’t read before.

Tried it.

Nope, actually they all displayed fine for me.

Well we’re both on the same Firefox. I’m on Windows 8, what are you on? Next difference between us is mod roles. Could something about your Advisor role be causing the bug?

Firefox 33 on Ubuntu Gnome.

[quote=“Shaun, post:9, topic:101327”]
Next difference between us is mod roles. Could something about your Advisor role be causing the bug?
[/quote]I can’t see how - and I’ve already tried asking around the staff, but nobody else is seeing this. That’s why I thought I’d try canvassing a wider audience.

She is on Ubuntu and it doesn’t happen to me using Debian :frowning: I’m about to kick up an Ubuntu virtual machine to see if I can get it to happen that way.

@TechnoBear, which version of Ubuntu are you on right now?

Can’t reproduce it on a base install that used Firefox 31, upgrading now to test Firefox 33

Firefox 33, still can’t reproduce it :frowning:

Thanks for testing, @cpradio.

I suppose really I should be glad it’s just me, and we don’t have lots of irritated Firefox users, but still…

If you create a new Firefox profile, does it happen on that one?

Running firefox -ProfileManager from the Terminal will let you create a new profile (without destroying your current one – so if it works you’ll still have a way to get to your bookmarks, etc).

If the posts are older ones that were migrated over from vB I have a feeling it’s not your browser, but a “rebaking” thing.

i.e. the first time a thread topic is pulled from the database it is a “first pass” result that gets displayed, It then gets “cooked” so subsequent views then look improved.

@TechnoBear next time you happen upon one, try these to see if it fixes things.

• refreshing the page
  • using the post wrench and click Rebuild HTML

If not please post a link to one that persists for you

Ok, I’ve finally got round to trying this. Yes, the new profile solves the issue of the “spoiler code”, but the spellcheck no longer works, the add-on manager is in Spanish

(even though the only language pack I have installed is English) and I can’t work out how to set it to zoom text only, which my old profile was set to.

On balance, I think I’d prefer to live with the vanishing text.

Edit: I’ve just switched back to my old profile, and find the Add-ons menu is still in Spanish. Oh well - if I need to use it, I can always call upon Running Bear to translate. But my spellcheck is working and I have my text-only zoom back.

Let me know if this helps (with the Spanish bit)
Edit > Preferences > Content > Languages is the last section, click the button, and see if Spanish is listed and remove it.

At least we narrowed it down to it being related to your Firefox Profile.

Nope - that hasn’t changed; it’s as it’s always been: