Anyone versed with VMware?

Hello, everyone,

I’m currently in the process of TRYING to set up two VMware servers on my workstation at home. I have no clue what I am doing!!!

I installed v11, and am immediately confused. I tried editing the network, and was immediately stunned to see that the default IP addresses were NOT in the same network as I set up, at home.

At home, everything internal begins with IP 192.168.20, but the VMware assigned itself 192.168.232 and 192.168.233. Can my laptop in 192.168.2 access the .232 and .233 range?

I’m trying to set it so that one VM is a web server, one VM is a db server, and then my laptop (separate from the desktop that will host the VMs) will be a development system.

V/r,

:slight_smile:

I thought you could alter the VM IP (via the network section). It has been a long time since I’ve used VM though. I typically use VirtualBox now.

I tried to change the IP addresses to be in line with my network, and got an error message about the subnet mask not matching (my internal network subnet is 255.255.255.0; the VM had the same, so I’m not sure how that didn’t match.)

Can you give me the specifics of your laptop? What is it running? Linux or Windows? I’m tempted to try and setup VMWare but I want to do it within a virtual machine… (might not be a great idea, but I really don’t want it on my personal machines… I just quit using it years ago)

The laptop is my development workstation, not server. Laptop is a DELL Inspiron from 2007 running WinXP SP3.

The machine that the VMs are going on is a custom build.

• 8 core i7 4.0GHz that can turbo to 4.8GHz on demand
  • 32 Gigs of RAM
  • 256 Gig SSD boot drive
  • 1TB 7200 RPM data drive
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • 4GHz nVidea GPU w/4Gigs of RAM

V/r,

Okay… so, as I understand it, I need to set it for “bridged” connection, so the VMs will use my network DHCP to grab an IP address.

Tried that, but I guess I did the wrong one?? IDK. I’m confused. Why (from the initial installation) do I have three items in the network editor for VM?

It starts out with two, but when I click on “advanced” to make changes, a third one appears!! Which one do I set as “bridged”?

V/r,

Can you provide screenshots? As I haven’t had a chance to setup a VM and now I’m at work, so my time will be far less (now that vacation is over :frowning: )

Sorry… I’m at work, too. :slight_smile: If I can remember, I’ll try to get a screencap when I get home.

V/r,

1 Like

Sorry, @cpradio… I had a lot to do, last night after work, and tonight isn’t looking any better. I’ll try to get screencaps as soon as I can.

Someone I work with suggested that I just delete all the default network stuff and create one from scratch. I’ll try to get a screencap BEFORE it gets to that point. :smile:

V/r,

1 Like

Okay, here is a screenshot of the current “network editor” window for VMware.

My internal network is 192.168.2.x, but this (even through NAT) isn’t going along those lines.

So, I’m currently inclined to just blow it all away and start from scratch. What do you think?

V/r,

That’s probably a good idea. Or just blow away VMnet1 and VMnet8. I think all you really want is Bridged in this case.

Speaking of VMware, is the Pro version worth the additional cost, or is the regular version enough?

For personal use? regular version is plenty. For enterprise use, you’ll want Pro. (based on my experience with it at my prior job)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.