Apple Watch and the revolutionary UI hardware you already own- iNose 1.0

Forget Oculus Rift and Microsoft Hololens.

There's a revolutionary, new user interface method in 2015 and you already own the hardware. In fact it's in front of you right now.

Let me explain.

The launch of the Apple Watch has created a new population of first-time watch wearers. If you're under 35 and have carried a cellphone since high school, you've had a clock in your pocket, right?

Ironically, for all its supposed convenience, there are many scenarios when a watch is actually less useful than the phone it's supposed to be helping.

Think about it: You walk around every day using your phone with one hand. Operating the Apple Watch (or any watch with controls) requires two hands -- unless you have remarkably flexible wrists.

hypermobility.jpg

So, what do you do when your arms are loaded with groceries or pizza boxes or your 18-month old daughter?

Apparently you learn to 'nosetap'.

Sometimes it's just to wake up the watch, but resourceful watch-wearers claim to be swiping away messages and even changing songs with their snout.

Myke Hurley on the Connected Podcast #37 (45 minutes in) talked about his experiences nosetapping and a Reddit conversation continues to out more 'nose-swipers'.

It appears that owning a slender, pointy noses are an advantage in 2015. Perhaps in future cosmetic surgeons will be recommending noses with high sensitivity and fine touch control?

We design things, but the truth is we can never predict exactly where our users will take them. Which is cool, really.

Developing a Nose-based UI

On a more serious note, nosetap comfortably predates the smartwatch.

Michelle Vardy began having severe RSI problems with her wrists in her early 20's -- enough to seriously threaten her career.

By pure accident she discovered that Apple's trackpad works perfectly well using her nose. Using a table tripod, an adapter and some velco, she rigged up a surprisingly elegant 'Nose-pad'. She's even able to use her mouth for some multi-touch gestures.

looknohands.jpg

Though her initial efforts were slow and ungainly, she says it didn't take her long to develop speed and precision with Photoshop and Illustrator. This is as genuinely impressive as it is left-field.

It does make me curious though. I play guitar and the more I play, the more my fingers adapt and toughen on my fretting hand. Does your nose change as it becomes more articulate?

###But was the Apple Watch designed for noses?

It’s a good question and I think there is an argument that Apple had our noses in ‘front of mind’ from the day they announced it.

Certainly there’s no argument that if you’ve got your sights of one of their 18-carat gold luxury Apple Watch Editions, your nose is what you’ll be paying through. :wink:

(Ba-da Tish! Come on… I had to use that!)

Originally published in the SitePoint Design Newsletter.

Unconfirmed footage of Bette Davis switching apps on a very early Apple Watch prototype. :wink:

2 Likes

when it gets to the point that i have to use my nose as i simply must read that latest tweet/update/email and i cannot wait a few seconds to put down whatever it is that is taking up my hand time (i might actually be doing something that doesn’t require a screen and electricity :hushed: ). i hope that Apple will have made the suicide machine (as per futurama) so i can end the ridiculousness (although probably won’t be able to afford to use it, but it will be shiny white and wipe clean).

Only caveat is for certain disabled people where i think learning to use a different body part could be beneficial to their use of computers etc I was getting strained fingers from using the mouse so i learnt to use my left hand and can now use it equally as well as my right.

Maybe not hygienic, but surely the tongue is a more dexterous appendage than the nose :stuck_out_tongue: .
On the other hand, or a single hand, this could spark another design roll-back to the Pocket Watch, for the one handed use market. What would it be called? The Apple “iLittle phone on a chain in your breast pocket” sound catchy. Yes, its an iWatch with all the single-hand-use convenience of a… err… Phone, a real design breakthrough.

1 Like

Well, hipsters are rocking Victorian era beards. Adding a pocket watch to look is the natural next step.

1 Like

Gads, what’s next, paisley?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.