April shout-out: What would you save if your house was on fire?

There is nothing that’s worth dying for.

Mike: Unless your wife says there is, and then either you take the risk to get it, or she’ll finish you off instead :smiley:

Someone mentioned their computer. I mentioned my external drive :smiley:

Hi guys, okay let me create a list. My top 5 to save during fire:

1. My mom
  2. My pets
  3. My money
  4. My laptop
  5. My mom’s jewelries
    =)

Damn, that would suck.

My laptop. And preferably the important documents if I possibly could.

Honestly I can’t think of a single thing that I’d run into a burning house to save! If my son, my wife, and our 2 cats were out out of the house I think I’d let that sucker burn.

All of my photos/mementos are digitized. Well, not all of them, but most of them and I have enough sentimental things that I could reproduce from backup.

All of our backups ultimately go up to mozy.com so in a pinch, I could restore the whole thing. Laptops, phones, cameras, etc. - those are just shiny trinkets that can be replaced without much trouble.

I guess if it were easy, I might grab my hand sculpted Teak elephant that I got in N. Thailand when I was in my 20’s. And a pair of sneakers! Hmm…

April shout-out: What would you save if your house was on fire?

[FONT=“Georgia”]This is a hard question, but probably the first thing I’d grab would be my camera bag.

My cam’s the most expensive thing I own, my lenses are all in the bag too, I could make money with them after the disaster maybe, plus I’d get cool shots of the house burning! :smiley:

[/FONT]

the important documents would be the owners manual to your laptop ? :stuck_out_tongue:

1. My a$$ (i.e, me)
  2. My cat

The rest of it can burn to hell and get replaced on insurance.

I’d use backblaze for backing up your digital stuffs. (I’ve used a few online backup services, and i’ve found this one the best)

[FONT=“Georgia”]amm… Wife?

[/FONT]

Who needs a manual for a laptop? :stuck_out_tongue:

“The rest of it can burn to hell and get replaced on insurance.”

:rofl::rofl:

You? :stuck_out_tongue:

Some of my elaborate art work that can not be replaced. Computers are all backed up, no need to worry there. My husband would help carry the artwork.

I would not run back into the fire though.

My Dogs, Suzy & Scamp. My laptop maybe, not priority, !!
I was in a fire once aged 7, horrific, spent a long time in Hospital, material things do not count really, they can be replaced.

My computer and most critical gear is at my boyfriend’s (which is a greater fire hazard than my place, actually), so the only thing left to take would be my Leica kit. And the 8x10 of my grandfather in 1940. If I even knew where that was.

I would save my numerous boxes of slides from photo school… Then if I had a free hand, I’d grab my irreplaceable copy of “The Garbage Pail Kids Movie” :slight_smile: lol

Well there you have one of the few things that is truly hard to replace. Artwork can be one of a kind.

So many other things are easy to replace. Laptops, cameras, phones, who cares? You can go today and buy replacements.
Even money is easily replaced. Well, not easy but certainly it’s always possible to make more.

My external Hard Drive. All my important files and pictures are on it.

Yes, that is true. Usual things like equipment and furnishings and such are easily replaced. But I would not have enough time in my life to repeat this work, and not that I really could now. Each piece is unique and was created at a certain stage in my life.

I have stored many of those works away some other place just in case of a disaster like a fire or hurricane, but I want to live with some of what I have created, so I take the risk. Too much precaution in life can prevent you from living :slight_smile:

We’re in a bushfire prone area – so I’m under more threat than my entire property would burn down as well as my house. We’ve got 2 people (me included), 2 horses, 2 dogs that would get the priority – then my wallet, keys, phone and laptop.