Architectural pattern

Hi can i ask which one of this is better to use.when dealing to MVC

Rails,
code igniter
php cake
symfony
zend framework

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

It depends on what you want to do. Your question is like asking if a ferrari, range rover or speed boat is better without telling any context of where you intend to drive it.

So if you could give us some background of what you want to do, we can see if we can help you out :slight_smile:

Yes, I would like to learn on MVC, and which is better to deal with comparing cake php to code igniter ?are these two have complete documentation and easy to use ?

Hi jemz,

From other posts you’ve made here on the forums, it seems you’re already familiar with PHP, so I’d forget about Rails for now unless you really want to learn a new language and an MVC framework at the same time.

Zend and Symfony will be tough going if this is your first exposure to frameworks and MVC… you need a solid grasp of OOP, otherwise you’re likely to find the way they do things highly confusing.

I’d recommend starting with CodeIgniter… although I’ve not used it myself, it’s often recommend by others as having good documentation, and there seem to be plenty of tutorials available to help you get started.

Hi fretburner, Thank you for the reply…Is php cake harder than code igniter ?

I don’t know much about CakePHP… it’s been around for a while, but it doesn’t seem to be as popular as CodeIgniter. For what it’s worth, if I were you I’d have a go at completing a CI tutorial (usually they show you how to build a simple blog or something) and see how you get on. Once you’ve got to grips with one framework, you’re in a better position to evaluate others and see how they do things differently.

PHP seems to have more frameworks available than any other language, so which one you choose at the end of the day really comes down to what your requirements are:

• What version of PHP/MySQL do you have to work with? (CI requires 5.1.6 or newer, whereas Laravel needs 5.3.7 or higher)
  • Are you learning to improve your job prospects? If so, ZF or Symfony are probably the ones to aim for in the long run.
  • On the other hand, if it’s for your own projects you might want to put more consideration into which you prefer to work with. Personally, I didn’t enjoy using ZF and switching to Kohana was a relief.

To help us provide a useful answer, please read through this: http://symfony.com/doc/current/book/from_flat_php_to_symfony2.html
Take your time and report back if you were able to make to the end and if you understand what was being talked about.
If you get stuck at some point then let us know where.

Your feedback will give us a much better idea of your current abilities and will probably allow to us provide a more useful answer.