Are all URLs supposed to be indexed by google before people can see my website on the search engine?

are all URLs supposed to be indexed by google before people can see my website on the search engine? i have 46 urls submitted but only 21 indexed. what does that mean in terms of people searching anything on google and my site appearing first ?

Hi dna, and welcome to the forums.

Unless you have a very small site, it’s quite normal for Google (and other search engines) not to index the entire site in one go. When you say you “submitted” 46 URLs, was that through Webmaster Tools, or via a sitemap, or…? And what are you using to check which ones have been indexed? GWT or a site:yourdomain search?

Any page can appear in the search results once it’s been indexed; it doesn’t matter whether the rest of the site has been indexed or not. Whether or not a given page does appear in the results - and how high up - depends on many things, but primarily on the quality of the content, and how relevant Google judges it to be for the search term used.

Yes your site should be indexed to be appeared in the search engine. And 46 urls submitted 21 indexed means you have 46 urls out that 21 have been indexed so far remaining might be indexed in second crawl or another but that does not mean you site will rank first for anything, for that you have to do seo and achieve ranking for keywords in the search engine.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.