Are Social Media websites still "Social"

Thank you for raising your question. What I meant is to tell that social media sites are now being used not only to socialize, but also used to promote businesses, products, and services. I hope this clarifies.

Thanks & Regards

I think its still social on some basis, lets say for example on Facebook. It can be social if your friends on facebook are really your ā€œfriendsā€. Not some random people who you never really know at all. In that case its not really social at all.

I just read an article on Mashable with the same article. It has alot of insight in it better checkout mashable.com/2012/03/01/social-media-less-connected

Hi, tal2411. Thank you for asking this really good question. You know today social media websites are like a coin. It has two sides. Firstly, the main function of such kind of cites is to socialize, entertain and unite people. This was the primary goal. And, secondly, today many companies and individuals are making money on such social cites. They realized that they can do really good money on it. Why not? So, the answer is that social media websites are not purely ā€œsocialā€ as it was many years ago.

Social media is still effective in promoting your site or just about anything you want to advertise since Social media has many members or users hence it is a perfect place to find clients, customers and audience. Though advertisements bombarded SM sites nowadays, still they are considered Social Media because there is interaction of people and thereā€™s fun.

A lot many answers to this query. Yes, in my opinion these sites are still social ā€¦ Social media has surpassed the concept of social networking . Now its not only limited to just posting a link, liking it or commenting. The ways of using these websites have been changed. These sites help in becoming social and yes one needs to be interactive in such cases because if you do not then these sites will not of any use. Be interactive and get social through these sites, this will definitely work for your business :slight_smile:

Itā€™s funny that you want social media to remain ā€œsocialā€ in essence, when youā€™re actually making use of it for commercial and personal purposes. The truth is that with the millions of people going through facebook, twitter, youtube, linkedin, etc. it gets harder to keep track of what use people are actually putting social media to. Some may be just in it for the gaming, some to make friends, some to keep in touch with old friends, and some who are looking to find some things to buy and people to do business with. What business owners are looking for are those people who would click on a link, read through the ads posted, and eventually shell out some money when they find something interesting. In this way, you can no longer really say that social media sites are purely ā€œsocialā€ anymore.

Those sites will remain ā€œsocialā€ until thereā€™re real people visiting them. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m afraid about Twitter - it seems that huge percents of its visitors are botsā€¦sad.

Did you mean ā€œno real peopleā€.

I agree, bots are the bane of the Internet. If I could find it, Iā€™d get out my light sabre and slash them all to smithereens!

Itā€™s really sad to see a lot of bots over at Twitter. Whoever thought of making those is really desperate for getting the attention that he or she wants. Iā€™d rather have only a few followers who I can interact with rather than have tons of bots who I canā€™t talk to as followers. Well, there are some bots who reply to you, and I donā€™t want to get there. I definitely donā€™t want to be hit by a light saber.

I think a lot of people use social sites like facebook or google plus or twitter to rank their site. Just post their website content.