<meta name=“robots” content=“ALL”>
<META name=“robots” content=“index,follow”>
<META name=“revisit-after” content=“3 days”>
<meta name=“author” content=“NOT BLAH, NOT BLAH, NOT BLAH,”>
<meta name=“distribution” content=“Global”>
<META NAME=“subject” CONTENT=“NOT BLAH, NOT BLAH, NOT BLAH,”>
<META NAME=“page-type” CONTENT=“NOT BLAH, NOT BLAH, NOT BLAH,”>
<META NAME=“page-topic” CONTENT

(btw, “NOT” blah means that the words there don’t match the words and phrases used in meta name and meta keywords)

Here is theirs:

<meta name=“keywords” content=“blah, blah, blah” />
<meta name=“description” content=“blah, blah, blah” />
<meta name=“FSAccessControl” content=“” />
<meta name=“FSChildTemplate” content=“default.html” />
<meta name=“FSDateCreation” content=“08/24/09 01:20 PM” />
<meta name=“FSDatePublish” content=“08/24/09 01:20 PM” />
<meta name=“FSFLContent” content=“yes” />
<meta name=“FSLanguage” content=“en-US” />
<meta name=“FSOnSitemap” content=“yes” />
<meta name=“FSPageDescription” content=“” />
<meta name=“FSSearchable” content=“yes” />
<meta name=“FSWritertoolPageType” content=“CustomPage” />
<meta name=“FSSection” content=“blah, blah, blah” />
<meta http-equiv=“content-type” content=“text/html; charset=utf-8” />
<meta http-equiv=“content-language” content=“en-US” />
<meta content=“blah, blah, blah” property=“og:title” />
<meta content="blah, blah, blah =“og:site_name” />
<meta content=“blah, blah, blah” />
<meta content=“288191961271713” property=“fb:page_id” />
<meta property=“og:url” content=“http://www.blah.com/blah-blah-blah-Overview/” />
<meta property=“og:type” content=“article” />

The owner of the second set of meta tags ranks far far far beyond anybody else (myself included). Even when I type the search phrase in a search engine EXACTLY as appears in my Title tag, their pages (with Title tags that don’t even have one keyword that matches their Title or my Title) still out rank everybody else.

What gives?

Is there some other Mojo out there (don’t say content either–my content is far superior. I have as much as 10 pages of quality content written up as opposed to theirs. For every 1 page of content in a particular topic that they have, I have 3 to 5 more content pages with properly placed H1, H2 tags, etc.). And don’t say sites linking back to them, they don’t have those either. Nor do I. Although I’m contemplating submitting my site to a LINK DIRECTORY related to our topic. (I read here that those don’t matter anymore).

NOTE: I do have my own You Tube videos (around 340 of them) where my site’s URL appears in the description of the video as a link BACK to my site. (Does that overcome my HTML Tag problem?)

They do have a blog, though, contained within their site. I’m working on doing the same. It’s not finished yet.

ONE BIG ADVANTAGE THEY HAVE: My site is new. It’s been in its current form for about 6 to 8 months.
Theirs has been number one on the first page of Google / Yahoo for about 3 to 5 years now.

So, other than the amount of time in the number one position, and the blog, how can I optimize my tags, etc, so that now I’ll be the one in the number position?

I am actually number 3 or 7 on some Google/Yahoo searches for some of my pages, even after only about 6 months.

Should I use ALL of the same exact meta tags they are using?

Is their setup a SUPERIOR setup than mine?

I have been reading here that most of the meta tag stuff is just fluff and doesn’t really matter much at all. Is that true?

Meta tags have long since been removed as a major ranking factor and while it was pointed out in another thread on this topic this week that they may contribute, they are just one factor and primary used to build descriptions. Thus comparing one set to another to determine rank is like asking why your car is slower than mine by looking at the paint.

Most of what you see in their tags is some editor or CMS’s messaging which does nothing + basic tags + facebook’s meta data. Sounds like there’s nothing magic to their rankings… just a well traveled site with some unique although not amazing content, a few decent links [what your link searches see is not the entire story] and a focus on something other than SEO.

If anything you’re running the risk of over optimizing by stuffing content, using frivolous tags [name, subject and keywords??] and trying to follow a book for how to appear potentially at the risk of the value you actually deliver. It’s not that you should do nothing but there’s a point where you’re no longer helping and quite possibly hurting.

I’m sure some of our more optimization focused expert members will chime in with practical advice but until then it’s something to chew over.

Great reply. Thank you for the info.

Initially when I started reading the thread, I was thinking on three factors

1. Domain Age and Reputation
  2. Content
  3. External Links

After understanding that you have got better content than your competitor and there are no backlinks for both, I understood that the deciding factor was Domain age and Reputation.

You cannot just move above a reputed website with a new website on SERP in just sometime. But I wouldn’t say its impossible, one can even rank above Wikipedia in a competitive search phrase with some effort and time. Google must understand that you are providing value and quality content and you have got good link references for a certain product. Once this is done, it will consider moving your website up in the ranking.

So,

1. Give some time
  2. Continue working on the blog and post quality content
  3. Write some blog posts that will get your some link baits
  4. Participate on events and write PR on it
  5. Do things that your competitors are doing as well as what they dont do.

The two main tags (according to Google) are Title and Description (which should also have the keywords in the body of the text)
Age is a very important feature and also backlinks. Google does not specify the value of other metatags. Content is “King”. How
popular is your website (how many visits per day) this is also important.

Other than those items, I don’t know how to answer you.

falcon