Are There Managed VPS Servers?

Just recently I’ve been having problems with my VPS Server. For some odd reason I’m unable to import my database. When I contacted my web host the guy who answered the phone basically told me that I was on my own which shocked me because I thought that the host has your back with these types of problems. I’m thinking about switching over to a “managed” VPS server if there’s even such a thing. Are there managed VPS Servers? If so, which is the best host to go along with?

There are lots and lots of Managed VPS hosts. Many of them get mentioned here. One that I can recommend in KnownHost (in the U.S.), but there are many more. I would recommend getting one that is in your own country (just because uploading is quite a bit faster).

gd,

What Ralph said!

I’m currently using WebHostingBuzz and WebHostingZoom, each with managed VPS services and great prices and service from each.

IMHO, a managed service for VPS is a necessity and should have been embedded in the “host finding process” I posted about two weeks ago:

[indent]I offer my common advice:

1. Establish your requirements, i.e., Linux, Apache 2.4+, PHP 5.2+, MySQL 5+ and storage and bandwidth requirements. Remember to allocate for log files, databases, e-mail (attachments) and growth.

1a. (added) If you’re looking for a VPS or dedicated server, remember to ask what the host’s managed services provide. Remember, a non-managed host must be monitored by you 24/7/365!

1. Know what control panels you are willing to use, i.e., WHM/cPanel. cPanel is the standard bearer for Linux systems and Plesk for Windows systems.

2. Know how much CPU time/RAM you need. If you need a lot of processing power (like Zoomla and other CMS’s), this will be a major factor. These, however, are usually specified only for VPS/dedicated accounts and automatically throttled for shared/reseller accounts.

3. Know your target (the Internet is fast but some latency could hurt so the closer your server to your target audience the better) location and try to host as close to your target as possible.

4. SEARCH (using the above parameters) recording each feasible host as well how well it satisfies your requirements and budget. Spreadsheets are good for this as you can assign weighting to the different requirements and how well they were met to generate numerical scores.

5. Create a shortlist based on the database you’ve created in step 5 then SEARCH for comments about the host (avoiding obvious shills and websites which advertise for that host).

6. The last step (other than selection) is to contact each shortlisted host with a question (I’ve used .htaccess and mod_rewrite availability, which services are managed by the host, the availability of IP addresses - you will require one for each SSL you use - or ask to test proprietary control panels - they may make life too difficult for you) and record the response time and your level of satisfaction with the response.

7. Finally, you’ll have enough information to make an intelligent selection.

Been there, done that (all too frequently in the past).[/indent]

Regards,

DK

Another option would be to obtain management services separate from your VPS services. So buy the VPS from one compay and the management from another. The advantage of this is that it gives you a lot more choice as to who you go with. The downside is that it can work out slightly more expensive.