Are Word press plugins profitable?

Is it profitable to make/sell wordpress plugins? Someone suggested the freemium model, but I’m a bit concerned I’m going against too many free/open source plugins. Would I be better off with creating a standalone php script/tool?

High-quality plugins always profitable. No matter how many other plugins CMS have.

Thanks, this might be a dumb question, but any suggestions for what type of plugin (functionality) to try working on that would be valuable?

1. Go to any popular Wordpress community
  2. Ask “what plugin do you miss most?”
  3. Make it

I’m sure there will be a ton of suggestions from your potential users

This is where you need to do your homework and spot opportunities to either fill gaps or do something better, eg

1. A plugin for some functionality that’s not already catered for
  2. A plugin that does something better than one that already exists
  3. Provide better support than existing players

Just want to give you my views on this topic

The wordpress theme / plugin business seems to be very saturated at the moment, but they seem to be making money. I know 2 separate business owners in my city, Cape Town, South Africa, that only do wordpress themes and plug-in’s and the both are very well off. Driving super cars, travelling the world, etc.

But this was a few years ago when it was more mainstream and very popular. Now that the market has settled, it might be harder to get into it. But it might be worth the shot

The good thing about software development is that worst case you waste a few hours / days of your life and not money buying something to try and sell.

So I would definitely do as suggested and give it a shot.

Good luck

From personal experience I have used free and used paid plugins. Free is always good, although as a WordPress user, I do occasionally pay for a quality plugin.

The best paid versions which I prefer are either those which allow full functionality for a limited time to try out the plugin, or those which offer decent functionality for a free version with a clear view of additional functionality which can be obtained with a paid upgrade.

Others may disagree…just my own perceptions:)

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.