Article: Confessions of a SitePoint Editor

An excerpt from http://www.sitepoint.com/editor-confessions/, by @LaurenH

I’ve been writing since before it was cool.

I discovered my passion at the ripe age of 20.

It started in 2010, when I admitted I hated my college major. I applied for a spot in University of Central Florida’s (UCF) journalism program. Shortly after, I was accepted.

And shortly after that, I failed my first class – Introduction to Journalism with Prof. Speere.

When I tried to talk my way out of retaking the course, Speere wouldn’t budge, and I retook the class the next semester.

I couldn’t get published to save my life. My writing sucked, and it was devastating.

For a few months, I really felt stupid. I felt like I had faked my way into this exclusive program – that I wasn’t possibly good enough to belong here.

I debated running away from writing, but then I realized something – I really, really enjoyed it.

Looking back, failing Speere’s class was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. Up until then, I coasted through life. Failing motivated me to be better.

During the next two years, I wrote two cover stories for a prominent local newspaper, became the relationship columnist for the school newspaper and scored a quote from UCF’s President Hitt, who hadn’t spoken to a student journalist in a decade.

The first cover story my classmates laughed at me for pitching. As did the first publication I pitched the idea to (Chicago Tribune’s Orlando Sentinel). Sugar-coated turned out to be a hit though, and literally hours after it was published, a nationwide radio show asked for an interview with me.

In a remarkable turn of events, I was a published writer, who interviewed the same people prominent New York Times writers had. I began hearing things like:

You wrote that story?! I loved that story.

You’re that girl, who wrote (insert title)?!

Since then, nearly five years later, not only have I been published a decent amount of times in places you’ve likely heard of, but I’ve also become a pretty good (i.e. tough) editor – one I think Speere would proud of today.

With that being said, it definitely doesn’t mean I don’t get rejected anymore.

In the past three months, it’s been a “close but no cigar” to getting published in TechCrunch – not once, but twice. And I’m still a ways off from getting published in NY Times’ Modern Love column (a huge dream of mine).

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.