Article: Kiba: ETL Done Right

An excerpt from http://www.sitepoint.com/kiba-etl-done-right/, by Glenn Goodrich

I am a “consultant” or a “contractor”, which are 2 of the various words that begin with “con” that I’ve been called. In essence, my clients have an itch they want to scratch with technology, and they hire my company to do the work.

I am not wild about the term “consultant”, but this is a great joke, if you haven’t heard it.

As a digital gun-for-hire, I am often involved in moving applications and systems from one platform to another. From ASP to Ruby or from SQL Server to PostgreSQL. In many of these cases, there is data that lives in the “old” system that needs to be move/upgraded/transformed to the “new” system. The canonical term is “data migration”, and it strikes fear in the hearts of those that have had a project go months or years overdue due to its complications. This was me the last time a Scope of Work (SOW) called for a data migration:

Even seemingly simple migrations can be awful. Those are the kind I am going to look at in today’s post. Simple migrations, pulling data from one source, doing a bit of transformation, and then storing that data in a new destination. I have a need to migrate user information from one system to a new system that we are building. The very idea of the migration had my teeth chattering, until I found Kiba.

[Continue reading this article on SitePoint!]()

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.