kurosagi — 2013-02-18T07:32:42-05:00 — #1
I've completed both my master and bachelor degree in multimedia and i've been working 18 months in the industry as a front-end developer | PHP & MySQL in Melbourne, Australia. I am the only developer in the team and i don't have any friends or knew any other developers. So if there is any developers meet up event open to the public i would really love to join if there is an opportunity.
There are a few things that i wasn't so sure about myself and i hope i could get some advices here.
I have the following skills:
- HTML5 / CSS3 / JQuery / PHP / MySQL / ActionScript 3.0 / Photoshop / Flash / Illustrator / HTML Email / Entry Level Responsive Web Development
I'm currently learning:
- GIT / Wordpress websites
- Magento / Zend Framework / Backbone.js / expand my JS skills
I'm familiar with Wordpress and Joomla website and be able to manage content updates and edit Wordpress theme.
My Current Salary:
- $40k package
1. What salary i should be getting based on my experiences and skills sets today?
2. Is there any problems with my skills development plan? What are the skills that i should be focus first? Should i concentrate on JS and put PHP or maybe other stuff behind? I'm more happy to become a front-end developer but i really do like to have some back-end skills that i've mentioned above. What should i do?
3. How can i make myself be better in the market?
jdog — 2013-02-18T12:39:15-05:00 — #2
my suggestion for some skills that are a bit deeper and will differentiate yourself from the pack:
Apache Server setup (local and on server)
Basic web server command line administration
MySQL design and optimisation skills: referential integrity, index use, query optimisation, replication
Have you checked out meetup.com? There is at least the Joomla meetup, I think you will find some good peers there.
Hope this helps,
kurosagi — 2013-02-18T19:10:14-05:00 — #3
Thank you for your reply, i'm appreciate.
I'll check the list of skills that you've mentioned and put some investment on those. That's helpful, so that i knew what are the elements that i'm missing from part of the skills that i had.
Yes, been start using the app since last year and joined a few wordpress and joomla meetup, love that. But i couldn't found anything with front-end + php discussion was hoping if there is one so that i can develop myself better.