August Photo Challenge - "Dog Days"

Websites often use photography to relay their message to visitors. In some cases, photos combined with some short text make a comprehensive story.

In the US, August is typically the hottest month and often called “Dog Days,” maybe due to all the dogs panting in the heat of the day. In celebration of Dog Days, our August Photo Challenge is a tribute to man’s best friend, our dogs.

This is a two part challenge:

1. For photographers: You have from now until August 24 to upload or link to your photo of an activity your dog enjoys and write a short description of your photo. Tell us about the dog and what he is doing in the photo.
    Note: Just like people, dogs have some personal needs. SitePoint is a family-oriented forum and we won’t be publishing any pictures such as those if they are the main focus of the photo. We also won’t publish any explicit dog photos, so don’t waste your time uploading them.
  2. For all SitePoint members: Every picture needs a good caption. After viewing the pictures that have been posted in this thread, you are all invited to head over to the August Photo Caption Challenge thread and post your own captions for our Dog Day’s photos. Do not repost the photo there, though. Instead, link your caption to the photo by post number (which you can get by clicking each post’s permalink).
    The last week of August, we’ll add a poll to thread and you can vote for your favorite.

To start things off:

In Winona, every Sunday a group of dog lovers take our dogs to the “Dog Park”. Some Sundays, there are 30 to 40 dogs running around the park together. My dog, Bailey, is the Airedale Terrier in this photo. Can you pick him out of the crowd?

Hello Ms. Linda,

I have clarification:
Are sitepoint members allowed to upload photos of their own pet? Even though they are not an official photographers? If so, then, they are to upload it here in this thread, right?

I’m just a bit uncertain about the instruction. Thank you very much.

It may be your own pet or a photo that you have taken of a dog. Follow the other directions, as well. Your photo must contain a description of the activity of the dog, which gave you the reason for taking the photo. Of course the reason cannot be just to upload a photo.

“So close yet so far away”

Thanks for the photo, I like it! Could you please describe it. See the first post in this thread. For instance, what is your dog’s name and is he wanting to get in or waiting for someone to come out?

We’d like all members to suggest captions in a thread which will later be put into the General discussion forum. We’d like our photographers to tell us a bit about the dog in the photo and what he/she is doing.

Well Sam my springer spaniel sadly passed away 2 years this november, but I have very fond memories of him. If you look closely at the small window directly above the french door, theres a racing pigeon randomly perched on a 1cm ledge! Obviously the pigeon had got disorientated and had split from its racing group, and landed on our patio window.(This has never happened before and has never happened since!) Ive got a video and many other photos to accompany this.
I remember Sam was in his element as the poor pigeon was just teasing him, as Sam was on his rope, thus “so close yet so far away”.

It is absolutely horrible to lose a pet, isn’t it? Fortunately you were clever enough to make sure you captured some memories in photos! I am so glad that you posted this! I didn’t see the pigeon the first time I looked. It makes a HUGE difference in the story that the photo tells. :slight_smile:

We rescued this Black Lab about 5 years ago. My wife named him “Gonzo” and he is now about 13 years old.

Last Christmas our neighbor brought a box of cookies for us and a box of dog treats for our three dogs.

Gonzo could tell there was something good-to-eat in the package and began tearing at the paper.
In this photo, he is taking a rest; the old man tires easily.

‘Rosy’ is a Rescued Rotweiler who loves to watch the activity of small animals (squirrels, birds, Peacocks we have in our neighborhood) in the yard.
In this photo she is framed against a statue we have in the yard of a Labrador Retriever (can you tell we are dog lovers?).
I took this photo on our second day in the new house - as she was discovering the world that existed in our ‘new’ backyard.

Rosy is really lovely. I have a soft spot for Rottys. Bailey’s first dog friend was a Rottweiler named Skylar. Bailey is an Oolong Airedale Terrier - a super-sized Airedale, which is itself the largest breed of Terrier. Skylar is the German strain of Rotty, which is smaller than the American bred Rottweiler. Ironically, because of this, the two are still just about the same size. I don’t have a recent photo of Skylar, but this one shows the two of them at play when they first met.

They look like the best of friends there.

It appears Skylar was dragging the rug, Bailey knew that was a naughty thing to do and is trying to STOP Skylar because “Mom” is watching.
Just like two children at play when they realize they have been caught doing wrong.

Love this!