Australia, the beautiful (APOD)

I wanted to share this outstanding photograph.
This is NOT MY WORK and I am providing only a link. It is so stunning that I wanted to be sure to share it.

Read the detailed description at antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100705.html
{If you are unfamiliar with A[URL=“http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod”]Astronomy Picture A Day{/URL], I recommend it. I visit the site every day as part of my daily routine - sitepoint is one of the other sites I visit daily, BTW }

This is beautiful and AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this :slight_smile:

I wonder how much they paid the guy who counted all those stars?!

[FONT=“Georgia”]Woah.

[/FONT]

find the small magellanic cloud, the small fuzzy patch at the lower right, and notice the star-like object just to its left

that’s actually a globular cluster of several million stars in a volume only 120 light years across known as 47 Tucana

uh, hello? you’re kidding, right?

APOD does not photoshop, but if you are sure, i think you might want to contact them about it

Great Photoshop work :slight_smile:

hahaha, good one.

What got to me are the clouds on the horizon and stars in front of them. That did not hang together for me.

I understand the process of taking those kinds of pictures, Shaun and I talked about that, but there is still this one issue for me.

I do enjoy the photo though :slight_smile:

Definitely, I’ve always loved the effect. It looks surreal to me and funnily enough makes rough looking waves nice and soft. My initial photos like this happened by accident while taking photos with a tripod at sunset. What gets me about this image is that there are no star trails, so it was long enough to get the star light and wispy ocean but not so long that it blurred due to the rotation of the earth.

That reminds me to my dad who is a retired science teacher. Several months ago he put his camera in front of his microscope to make pictures of small things like wings of a bee, fungus, etc…
I tried pushing him to start a blog about it, but he won’t :frowning:

Did you know the moon is a hologram :slight_smile:

[FONT=“Georgia”]As I was telling Datura in an e-mail, the star-trails are probably there, but because it’s a wide-angle photo, all of the details are smaller, and the streaks might be less noticeable.

Here are some I’d done;

[FONT=“Verdana”][SIZE=“1”]
This was from Mathura, Trinidad with a 50mm f/1.4 lens.

A very fast lens in very dark place, so lots of detail and you can actually start making out the clouds of the Milky Way. I was stunned when I saw this photo emerge on my LCD. 30 second exposure.

But a 50mm lens is a bit long, so you can see streaking.

This one was a cheap, slow 18mm lens at Tucker Valley, Trinidad.

With the wider angle, you can see how the stars start looking like points. The lens is too slow to get any of those crazy details the fast lens did.

With the same image zoomed to 100% , you can see that the stars actually are steaking. You just don’t see it when everything is reduced in size.[/SIZE][/FONT]

When I get rich, I’m going to screw a telescope onto my camera and things would get really funky.

Unless you care to spot me $10,000 ?

[/FONT]

my guess is that the photo required a very long exposure time to get the stars, consequently the waves were all blurred together

It’s certainly a stunner, I think what makes it though is that rock formation on the left that looks like someone staring up into space. I’m partial to a good wispy ocean too.

Obviously I am not sure, it was just a thought because it is so easy to make-belief today :slight_smile:

i like the milky way texture