Ave Ara, what are the alternatives?

This is taken from my latest newsletter, subscribe here.

Many of our readers are software developers, but I would guess there are some of you out there interested in hardware development and Google's project Ara would have opened some interesting possibilities for small scale hardware developers.

The news that the project will be delayed needn't curb your enthusiasm, there are other alternatives to get involved with in the meantime.

Jolla, The Other Half

Jolla's 'Other Half' is a set of colored covers that adds matching sounds, wallpapers and other customizations to your phone. jolla.com/the-other-half

Fairphone 2

Building upon the success of the Fairphone that aimed to build the most ethical phone available, version 2 takes this concept further. Most relevant to this discussion it has a modular design that means you don't need to replace the entire phone if a component fails and allows you to repair it yourself. fairphone.com/phone

Puzzlephone

Puzzlephone has similar aims to Fairphone, offering a modular design for repairability and upgradability. puzzlephone.com

Blocks

Blocks is a modular smartwatch that lets you add small components that you need for your watch. chooseblocks.com

I came across some other concepts that didn't seem to progress further but what else have I missed? I'd love to hear your responses.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.