Background issues - content collapses

I built a website RNL Services LLC

Looks like crap when viewed in 600 x 800 browsers. The content collapses. If you are on a higher resolution browser you can see what I am talking about by resizing your browser.

I would like to emulate what happens at the following website Merchants Bonding Company

The following is my css

html, body, #wrapper {
    height:100%;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    border: none;
    text-align: center;
}
#wrapper {
   margin: 0 auto;
   text-align: left;
   vertical-align: middle;
   width: 400px;
}
#page_home {
	height: 635px;
	width: 974px;
	margin-top: -8px;
	margin-right: auto;
	margin-left: auto;
}

Go to RNL Services LLC to see the source.

Thanks in advance for any help

Success! That did it! I love it when it all comes together. With all of your help of course. Thanks a million.

Try removing the height on #page_home and giving it “overflow:hidden;” instead. THe problem is that the children are flaoted and the parent doesn’t recognize it is there, thus it is collapsing in height.

I wasn’t able to really see what you meant but that seems like the obvious solution to what you are describing.

Thanks Ryan but that didn’t seem to work. It is still doing the same thing.

Basically in a nut shell. This site fails on a computer with a screen resolution of 800x600. I am assuming your computer has a higher resolution than that. Basically go to RNL Services LLC and collapse your browser so that it is smaller than the website I created. You will see how it fails. Now go to [url=http://www.merchantsbonding.com]Merchants Bonding Company and do the same thing. Their site does not collapse.

If you look at my site I have drops of water going off of the edge of the site. If you look at my site on a 800x600 resolution screen or an IPhone or something like that I want the outside water drops to be ignored so it fits correctly on the screen.

I hope that makes sense. If you look at the source code imbedded in the website I have

body {
	background-color: #c02327;
	font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
	font-size:11px;
	color: #000;
	background-image: url('images/rnl_services_home.jpg');
	background-repeat: no-repeat;
	background-attachment:fixed;
	background-position: top center; 
}

I put images/rnl_services_home.jpg in the background.

Thanks

Lose the fixed value on the background image and set a min-width for html,body.

e.g.

body {
    background-color: ;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size:11px;
    color: #000;
    background:#c02327 url('http://www.rnlservicesllc.com/images/rnl_services_home.jpg') no-repeat 50% 0;
}
html,body{min-width:1000px}

It has nothing to do with the above problem but as Ryan said also remove #wrapper from the height:100% routine as that won’t do what you expect.

Use a min-height if needed instead.

html, body {
    height:100%;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    border: none;
    text-align: center;
}
#wrapper {
    margin: 0 auto;
    text-align: left;
    width: 400px;
    min-height:100%;
}
* html #wrapper{height:100%}/* IE6 min-height*/

Although you don’t seem to be doinh anything that needs the 100% effect.

It works!

I just have one other issue. Check out the following image

I would like to remove the red on the left of the website. I want the red bubbles to be ignored and the website to be seen. I have a feeling if I made that background larger it would knock off the website.

Now that I looked at the rnl_services_home.jpg I don’t think the background is affecting the browser. Why do I see that red on the left?

Set the min-width to the same size as the center portion of that image (974px I think) and then change the other #page element to match.

[B]html,body{min-width:974px}[/B]
#page {
    height: 635px;
   [B] width: 974px;[/B]
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    margin-top: -8px;
    margin-right: auto;
    margin-left: auto;
    background-color: #c02327;
}