Bad code! Bad bad code!

I just wanted to show this:
Kandidatfortegnelser - Folketingsvalg torsdag 15. september 2011 - Danmarks Statistik

It’s a table of all the candidates to the upcoming Danish parliament election, from the Danish Bureau of Statistics. Well, actually it isn’t. Check out the code: The table itself is really a series of spans, styled to make it look like a table. This would be a perfect example of how some designers misinterpret no tables for layout as no tables at all, except for the fact that the page itself use a table-based layout.

Sigh :rolleyes:

That is funny a table where a table should not be used and no table for what should be using a table or a definition list though I can’t read the page so I’ll take your word for a table.

Any schmoe’s 12-year-old nephew with a cracked copy of dreamweaver can do it!

except for the fact that the page itself use a table-based layout

A table in a table even…

The ‘columns’ are:

[list][]Candidate name
[
]Runs in district
[*]Nominated in district (in Denmark, it’s possible to run i districts you’re not nominated in)[/list]

The bolded headers denotes grand districts, and the ordinary headers denotes party name.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the inline styles, and the fact that you need Javascript to be able to send them an e-mail.

Lets be honest, web design is easy and any schmo in an office can do it :wink:

An example of a truly amazing and astounding lack of understanding on the web author’s part regarding semantics. At first I thought it was supposed to be some list of names but since I cannot read Danish. I’ll take your word for it being a comparative table, well that is what it should have been - certainly not span infestation.

I would NOT call that tabular data – I’d call that nested lists… there are no obvious rows and/or columns to it… it’s just indenting as it’s nested. That’s NOT a case for a table.

Oh wait, that IS tabular data – it’s just not rendering as such in Opera, Safari, Chrome or FF here – it only shows up as a table in IE!

Jason
I just checked it in Chrome, and you’re right. That’s even more sad.

It’s not the worst I’ve seen, though. Check out this frontpage for the Danish Metheorological Institute. Never mind the pointless redirect. The different Danish regions are listed next to the radiobuttons. To get to each region, you have to select the appropriate radiobutton (which stores a cookie using Javascript), and then refresh the page, which will set your default page. The only way to clear the default page is to clear your cookies. And, of course, it’s a table-based layout (and a poor one at that), inanely sprinkled with inline Javascript and CSS.