Baseline and font color

Do you think the baseline of a webpage should be dependent also in the font color.

Let me be more specific:

Must the baseline be bigger when the font color is darker and vice verca?

I think your going to have to be even more specific lol

For example, does the baseline of a black text ought to be bigger than the baseline of a grey text?
Is that clear enough?

And by baseline do you mean default size? If so no color should not have any effect on color.

I do not quite understand the above.

Baseline is not exactly font size.
It is something else. Google it…it is a long story.

No, I think you need to be a little clearer. In [typography](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography), baseline is the line which most of the letters sit and the extenders (g/j/p/q/y) drop below. There’s nothing to be bigger about as there’s nothing displayable about it. It’s an invisible line upon which to lay the visible elements.

I think the original poster is referring to leading ( or in web-speak line-height). It took me a bit to figure out what he meant.

the answer is not really.

It has to do more with CONTRAST and what in print is called “gray space”.

So it gets complicated.

If you have low contrast headlines, you may not want to overpower them by having tight leading on your body copy. Of course the reverse also holds true, low contrast body copy with really high leading… can lose the eye. The key is to find a BALANCE that reflect hierarchy. It’s not as simple as dark = more.

ON a tangent, SMALL TEXT , can benefit from larger leading, but not too large. so if you must have 9px text please dont set a 10px line-height, it’s bound to give the users headaches. Yet you could get away with 26px text with 27px line-height.

Another thing to consider is the font itself. I tend to give tighter leading to san-serif type than i do to serif type (on the web, the reverse is true in print)

BTW

for high to medium contrast fonts, a good rule of thumb for line-height is 1.4-1.65.