Basic help needed

Hi

At a very late stage in my life I am trying to learn mysql and php and hope someone can just point me in the right direction. I find it quite difficult to learn from a book no matter how well written.

I believe I have set my basics correctly, I am using wamp to access mysql and php plus apache.

I am at the stage of entering some basic commands to check things through such as

QUERY: mysqladmin --vesion
RESULT: mysqliadmin Ver 8.42 Distribution: 5.5.16 for win32 x86

QUERY: mysqladmin -u root status
RESULT: Uptime: 88456 Threads: 1 Questions: 1 Slow queries: 33 Flush Tables: 1 Open tables: 0 queries per second avg: 0.000

QUERY: mysqladmin -u root -p status
RESULT: enter password (entered)
mysqladmin connect to server at ‘localhost’ failed
error ‘Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ <using password YES>’

Can anyone please explain in simple terms what I may have done incorrectly, it is difficult to ask a book questions!
I should say I have written the simple code in one of the examples to display date on search and it displayed correctly.

thanks

That usually means you entered your mySQL password incorrectly.

Thanks VSDan I believe I have entered password correctly and have also changed password with
mysqladmin -u root -p password(newpassword)
I am then asked to insert password I just created but get the above error.

Cheers

no space between the -p and the password so -p password is incorrect and -ppassword is correct.

Hi I have tried that to see what happens but when I enter mysqladmin -u root -p status I again get the error.
When I wnter mysql I get welcome to the mysql monitor and can access details of the help files. I get all the commands available.
When I enter mysql -u root status I get the results I expect
Do I take it that the password entry is causing the problem even though I have attempted to reset the password as above.

cheers

Dave