Be Careful of Backlink From the Same IP Site!

i just read the SEO article about backlink from the same IP :

“Many webmasters have more than one website. Sometimes these websites are related, sometimes they are not. You have to also be careful about interlinking multiple websites on the same IP. If you own seven related websites, then a link to each of those websites on a page could hurt you, as it may look like to a search engine that you are trying to do something fishy. Many webmasters have tried to manipulate backlinks in this way; and too many links to sites with the same IP address is referred to as backlink bombing.”

so, what do you think guys? do you agree with that?

Yes, in short. You need to ensure that your backlinks come from a range of IP Addresses, and different C-Class IPs for that matter (the third set of numbers).

I do agree that it has negative effect because it is an easy assumption that only the web owner can do such a thing and this is a form of trickery.

No I don’t.

It’s common for people to host several sites on one server and for them to link their sites to each other for perfectly acceptable and genuine reasons. If Google punished ‘same ip’ links they’d be punishing lazy link builders sure but they’d also be punishing people who aren’t trying to spam their index and manipulate rankings, they’d be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I don’t think Google pay any attention to the server IP unless it’s spammed to the point that it looks unatural for other reasons and not just the IP address issue.

Matt Cutts:

Actually, Google handles virtually hosted domains and their links just the same as domains on unique IP addresses. If your ISP does virtual hosting correctly, you’ll never see a difference between the two cases. We do see a small percentage of ISPs every month that misconfigure their virtual hosting, which might account for this persistent misperception–thanks for giving me the chance to dispel a myth!

Back links from same IP will not give any value to our websites… Search Engines may consider that there is some agreement between two webmasters… So, it will be considered as useless…

I’m glad someone said it, because I host a network of over a hundred websites, all on the same server that link towards each other and they tend to do quite well for each other.

I’ve always felt a bit iffy about cross-site linking sites under the same hosting account, but it’s not failed me yet and if anything they provide a great service to my users and pour link juice from my popular websites across to my brand-new pages.

maybe that’s why to solve this problem, there are many web hosting offering “SEO Hosting” package
this package offering multiple IP address for every single website you hosted there

Really?

I’ve never heard anything so stupid as a “SEO Hosting Package” in my entire life…

This is what I’ve thought.

How can you penalise that.

Lets say I have my own hugely powerful server with 1000’s of websites, some that are the same niche. Why should I be penalised for linking to the relevant websites on the same server / IP. They may be on the same server but they are different customers and the customers have agree to link to each other.

You can get backlinks from websites having same IP address. Infact, cross linking is acceptable if you are linking business related websites that are beneficial for the user.

Linking irrelevant websites is considered as spamming and may hurt your rankings.

you can try to search it on google using term : seo hosting

I’m not disputing that it exists, but that a hosting company selling its services on made-up SEO credentials is insane. If anything it’d make me doubt their ability to be able to host a site properly.

i know that same people called SEO Hosting as a scammer hosting.
We know that link diversity is important, but it’s a question of how Google determines it. SEOmoz has been using c-blocks in their data and the correlation is pretty strong.