Beginner needs help

Just starting book Database Driven website and keep getting error message:

Server Error in Application “Default Web Site”

HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found
Description: The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) map policy that is configured on the Web server. The page you requested has a file name extension that is not recognized, and is not allowed.

Error Code: 0x80070032

Notification: ExecuteRequestHandler

Module: StaticFileModule

Requested URL: http://localhost:80/Today.php

Physical Path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Today.php

Logon User: Anonymous

Logon Method: Anonymous

Failed Request Tracing Log Directory: C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles

Handler: StaticFile

I know its something to do with loading a local webpage but not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Can someone give me some guidance please?

As I don’t have the book (I have an old version and the examples are different), I can’t tell you why it fails.

Yet, I can tell you by the error message that the server seems not to be configured to know how to deal with pages with a certain extension (in this case, php).

You need to tell IIS that php files need to be treated using php.ini

If it was a ASP file, I would tell you to go to Cotrol Panel > Internet Information Services > World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features

Then, you would have a list of features (asp, asp.net, CGIs, etc) that you will allow…

With PHP, I don’t have a clue but I am sure that it is the first chapters of the book.

Having read Microsoft’s documentation, it seems that the way to do it is

1. click start
  2. Execute intmgr
  3. When you open intmgr (which is the administrator of IIS) expand the serve list and expand web sites and click on the website name you want to modify
  4. In the properties view, double click MIME types
  5. In actions, click “add”
    6 add the extension and the MIME Type in the appropiate fields and accept changes.

Don’t know if this will help.

I apologise for the late response :slight_smile: