So I recently changed a site over to a new server, but for some reason I'm being directed to the old server while others are being directed to the new server. We enter the same url, but different results. I've cleared my browser history, but still nothing. Any suggestions or is this just a waiting game?
It can sometimes take 24-48 hours for things to adjust. Has it been that long yet? Also, try another browser, just to be sure it's not that.
Well, I tried like 4 browsers and the funny thing is that others are able to access it. I tried 2 computers at my house and neither one can access it.
Yeah, I meant other browsers on your own computer—ones you may not have previously used to access the site.
I accessed the site using all my browsers so that I can see how the site displayed in the different browsers. I will wait a little bit and see.
Ha ha, fair enough. That makes sense.
I'd say that if the site works for others, it's probably OK, but (a short amount of) time should tell.
I had this problem a while back, and it seems to have been a caching issue with my ISP, rather than my browser. Everybody else - including the client, fortunately - was seeing the new site on the new server, but I could only get the old one. (I could access the new one using the IP address, but not the domain name.) It took a few days to clear. I've never had that problem with a site before or since.
If you need to see the site on the new server immediately, you can edit your 'hosts' file on your pc which will override any DNS delay
And remember to change it back after you are done
This topic is now archived. It is frozen and cannot be changed in any way.