Benefits of having a DotMobi url for my website

Hi. Can anyone enlighten me on the DotMobi url extension. Its ok had someone call me today and said that they could create a Dotmobi site to work along my current desktop/laptop website. The sales guy told me the benefits of this is that it would increase my sites seo for my website. Sorry not heard much about it. What do you guys think? Is it just a sales pitch pun?

Cheers

Load of rubberish. Having a .mobi domain extension does nothing.

As a team member of dotMobi – the company behind the .mobi domain as well as mobilization products like the goMobi mobile site builder and DeviceAtlas device detection solution – I can tell you that the .mobi domain addresses several issues. In fact, we wrote an overview of that on our website at http://dotmobi.mobi/content/aboutmobi:

.mobi is the de facto standard for identifying mobile-friendly Web content
The mobile Web continues to grow exponentially. In 2012, the U.S. audience for mobile Web was up 82% over the previous year, according to Nielsen. Today .mobi enjoys the position of the most prevalent top-level domain in use for identifying mobile content.

.mobi domains are whitelisted by network level transcoders
Having invested money and time in creating a great mobile presence, you don’t want a third-party transcoder modifying your site … but this can happen when you use a non-standard name for your mobile Web site. Generally, .mobi sites are automatically whitelisted by all network-level transcoders, ensuring your site will render as you intended on all mobile devices.

.mobi domains offer better search engine performance
Crucial to the success of any business is search engine marketing, which grew from $15.36B to $19.51B from 2011 to 2012, said eMarketer. Because every .mobi domain registered gets its own entry in the Internet Zone File, your site will perform better than any other mobile naming convention. Additionally, search engines detect searches from mobile devices and prioritize their results accordingly. Because .mobi sites are high quality and made for mobile, they go to the top of the mobile search results.

.mobi names are designed for mobile use
Entering long URLs is cumbersome; you need a short name for your site. There are still millions of great .mobi names available for your content.

.mobi is actively promoted and industry supported
For consumers, it’s essential that mobile content be easily found and navigated; it’s this need that prompted ICANN to approve .mobi as the only domain specifically designed for fending mobile content.

Nice sales pitch Vance (copy and paste). Sorry but it is all rubbish. Having a .mobi extension does none of those things. It all comes down to the actual site in question. Slapping a special extension is not some magic powder. I can buy a .mobi domain and put a non mobile accessible site behind it all I like. There is no regulations preventing me from using it as I please.

Either case, turning a .com into a mobile site is just as easily done. No special extension required. Furthermore, .mobi has been available since 2005 it has never taken off like they thought it would.

Great post. So you would suggest me getting a dotmobi domain name (shorter version) for my business and developing a mobile version of my desktop site ( not duplicated obviously)?

In a word: nope.

dotmobi is simply in the business of trying to get you to buy something. There’s nothing any more special about the .mobi TLD than any other TLD.

To look at this another way: Would your website do better if you also bought .net, .org, .biz, .uk.co, .it, .cz, .ca, .de, .ly, and so on? Nope.

One of the best approaches to making your website accessible to mobile devices is to use responsive design. Using CSS media queries, you effectively detect the width of the browser and apply sections of CSS accordingly. So, you’re using the same content and just displaying it in a slightly different manner.

Good recommendations @Force_Flow ;

In addition, designing your site semantically. Don’t keyword pack; instead write your content to add value to what the site represents. Make regular updates. For the reponsive media queries, ensure that you don’t just resize the site for the device size but also treat buttons differently - make them larger for fingers, reduce image size and serve the images using CSS, set up media files to be served at an appropriate size for the mobile domain. Also ensure that you give the option to the user to go to the full-size site; some people just don’t like the mobile design as they are used to and would rather scroll side-to-side on the full site.