Best Operating System

Who is the best Operating System…
(1) Windows XP
(2) Windows 7
(3) Windows 8

Hi.Windows 8 is the best operating system.

Why only those three? They all belong to Microsoft so, the “Who” is irrelevant. I personally use Debian Linux and have been for many years. I simply utilize it because I can make it work for me, versus me altering it enough so I can work in it.

I’ve also utilized Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8 through relatives and work, and I don’t have any complaints with any of them, really. They work, they function, and they really aren’t that difficult to use.

Then there are Macs, which I haven’t used since college (sorry Mac lovers). I again, don’t have any real beef with them, other than they’ve desperately been trying to lock down their platform (including where you still apps from). I see advantages and disadvantages to that, but I’m not sure I like it (Microsoft is attempting the same fate with Windows 8).

My wife has Windows 8 on her laptop and I really don’t like it. I’ve heard that it’s better if you’re using it on a touchscreen device, like a Surface Pro, but I find it confusing and difficult to get things done (I’ll admit that could just be unfamiliarity).

I much preferred Windows 7, although I’ve recently switched to Linux and have to say I’m liking it so far.

I am struggling to setup Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit, it is hard work to install programs which are not in the Ubuntu repository. It seems every program has a different setup method and to make matters worse non-intuititive sudo commands are used. The sudo commands have to be Googled and care taken the correct version is selected. I cannot understand why some installed programs do not show after a reboot and extra Googling is required to ensure the program is available after shutting (SP) down.

[ot]edit: As far as Ubuntu is concerned then:

I think the problem is that the system is protected far too much and also designed by a committee.

If the installation problems were sorted the system would be far better and less of a geek’s toy.

Most of the time I am impressed once the program is running. There does seem a long delay (about 5 seconds) after selecting a program and/or device and think some sort of rotating icon indication would benefit the user to let them know something is happening.
[/ot]

Off Topic:

Are you talking about Ubuntu or Windows?

Yes, I can understand the feeling… Linux (Ubuntu or any other distro) can be a bit frustrating at times. Like everything else, though, it has its advantages. But yep, it is a bit tough to get used to it, especially after using Windows. It makes you even lazier :lol:

Also, although the interface is nice, it doesn’t have the stylish, clean and polish look that Mac or Windows have

I think Linux has come a long way as a desktop OS since I first tried it (some years ago now) and is a lot friendlier in many aspects, I suspect largely due to the efforts of distros like Ubuntu. I did try Ubuntu a while back, but I’m not a big fan of the recent Unity interface… it was quite slow on my machine when I tried it. Now I’m using Linux Mint XFCE which is based on Ubuntu (so it has access to all the same packages) but is much more sprightly.

As for installing software though, on the occasions where something I wanted wasn’t available in the repositories, the website has had a .deb package available which makes installation a doddle.

Windows 8 seems more of an OS for tablets where you have touchscreens, I can’t see the point to it if you’ve not got a touch screen. I’ve heard that Windows 9 releases next year, so if you’re not in a rush to get a new OS, you might want to hold out till Windows 9 comes out and try a demo of it before you commit to any particular version of Windows

I have tried Linux on many times ever since it was first introduced but keep reverting back to Windows since it is so much easier. The main reason for using Linux once again is it appears essential for an online Golang/Apache setup.

Off Topic:

As for installing software though, on the occasions where something I wanted wasn’t available in the repositories, the website has had a .deb package available which makes installation a doddle.

Eventually managed to install Xampp after laboriously ploughing through the following installation instructions:(

http://www.apachefriends.org/faq_linux.html

I also upgraded the Windows Xampp version and it was far easier to install.

Yup, I hate it too. Trying to find the basic OS features feels like I’m hunting for hidden easter eggs.

I haven’t tried Windows 8. I preferred XP to Windows 7, but that might just be because I used it far more. I still use Windows 7 once a week, when I do admin. for a local group, and I find it quite frustrating, although part of that is just lack of familiarity.

We switched to Ubuntu Linux several years ago and I love it - so simple even my husband can use it. :slight_smile: Seriously. When we had Windows, he was forever summoning me to come and help him with one thing or another, but he’s hardly ever needed assistance with Ubuntu.

One of the biggest reasons why Windows 8 fails horribly in my eyes. Heck, the first time that I used it, it took me 10 minutes just to find the control panel.

The metro interface simply does not work desktops or power users.

Once Windows XP was basically considered stable and reliable (more or less after the first service pack), it worked very well.

I’m primarily a Windows 7 user these days, but there are a number of things that were left out that were present in Windows XP that I liked. I’m running both classic shell and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to bring back some of the stuff that was available in Windows XP.

Gotta go with fretburner on the choice of OS. I too got fed up of Windows 8 and switched to Linux Mint last year.
I had to learn some new tools (such as Gimp), but having invested some time, I’m now as productive as ever.
There is the occasional thing that point blank refuses to work, but the only thing I boot into Windows for nowadays is Skyrim.

@fretburner ; How are you getting on with XFCE? I opted fr Cinnamon and haven’t been disappointed.
In fact I recently discovered superbar and [URL=“http://conky.sourceforge.net/”]conky which I’m loving.

I hear you there, I’ve used Gimp a couple times but I still find it limiting compared to Photoshop.

XFCE is pretty good… I chose it over Cinnamon as I wasn’t sure how well my laptop would handle it (just a basic graphics chip) and I’m more concerned about the system feeling responsive than looking good (XFCE isn’t ugly, but it’s nothing special). Superbar looks interesting, I might give it a try.

Windows 7 I guess, i found Windows 8 a bit awkward and not easy to use. Windows 7 is easy simple and smooth.

Microsoft’s All Operating systems are really great.

Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows 8

Really?
Why?

What possible reason would you have to be using Windows 98 in 2013??

Really?!? Really?!? ME (Major Epidemic), (Massive Error), etc. I remember ME all too well, it is what switched me to Linux. I booted it up and it crashed when I changed the wallpaper. I’m not sorry that catastrophe didn’t last very long.

The last time I saw an installation of Windows 98 out in the wild was 5 years ago. It was running a piece of proprietary software for some scientific equipment, and the software couldn’t really run on a newer O/S without some annoying hiccups. Though at this point, I’m pretty sure the equipment has been replaced.

Personally XP/7/8 have very little difference. If you installed SDD w/ any of them then boot up time should be well under 1 minute. Personally, I prefer Windows 7 for stability… I once thought 8 was stable until I installed 8.1… it broke all my drivers and there was no way to uninstall 8.1 (thanks M$!). I understand it’s not M$ job to make driver compatible to 8.1 but failing to provide uninstall option is clearly a sign of unstable OS… Because of this I take Windows 7 which is probably the most stable M$ OS today.