Best PHP Framework for 2015 - SitePoint Survey Results

We’ll have answers to that, too : ) Further surveys are planned. We have some interesting questions in store.

Nette Framework is from Szech, also the Survey author is from Szech too.
So he didn’t combined Zend Framework 1 with 2, Symphony 1 with 2, Yii 1 and 2. And combined all Laravel version into one.
Because of that, Nette comes to 3rd place by popularity.

What is this “Szech” you speak of?

1 Like

Czech, sorry :slight_smile:

Sorry you’re from Croatia, nevermind, forget it :slight_smile:

I think the reason for Laravel being so popular is because it conforms to the latest PHP rules and still keeps it simple. The fact you can create models, controllers, migrations, seeds and more with a simple command makes it that much more enjoyable.

It gives you good templates for creating your code, but still offers you freedom to express how you want your application to work/look which is fantastic.

I don’t understand why CI is still popular when it would probably take less than a day to learn Laravel’s documentation and use that instead. I used CI in one of my old workplaces and was never satisfied with it, I tried to encourage them away from the framework, but because they’ve been using it for so long, they refused to leave it. :frowning:

I think that Phalcon is a promising framework, but it needs to have more of a template already setup to give people and better insight into how it should go. I know Phalcon gives you freedom to create the app however you like, but give someone too much freedom and they get lost and don’t know what to do with it. Give someone guidance, but still offer that freedom, then they will learn faster and then use that freedom when they feel more comfortable.

1 Like

Many company has not changed their acquired technology frequently, That’s why some company still using CodeIgniter, Cakephp etc. As already some maintenance on existing project going on.

On the other hand In personal, developers always want to work with latest technology like Laravel, Symfony2 and these effected on the survey.

Why does people whine about the results? Okay, Laravel won, so what? If you prefer Symfony, go with that, no matter the result shown here.

And why on earth did people complain because of the gender-based stats?.. Holy hell some people has never been on the internet before

Psh - if you were on the Internet a lot, you’d see people will complain about anything :wink: .

1 Like

Laravel seems to be overhead / overweight and all benchmarks done shows it is very heavy. (almost shittest result) in every comparison.

That’s why I’m trying lighweight framewroks (currently slim).

Laravel is a hybrid of various frameworks so every vote for Laravel should also be a vote for the other frameworks it uses in it’s core.

The reason Laravel is awesome is because it’s the best bits from other frameworks wrapped in syntactical sugar.

Nette isn’t majorly well known outside of the Czech Republic because the majority of programmers working on it don’t have English as a first language, and therefore the English support for it tends to come later. However, it has some great ideas that I wish more frameworks would look into, like debugging and PHP language enhancements built into the framework itself, making them very easy to take advantage of. And Tracy; Tracy makes working on a website much easier, and is retardedly easy to extend.

@darkphoenixff4 if you’d like to write a good introduction covering all those advantages, let me know?

I moved a post to a new topic: I need advice on contacting PHP developers

Given the surprisingly poor showing by Zend I’d be curious to know which prizes were chosen by the winners - did people want Zend Studio even when they were offered it for free? I’d also be curious to know if project size was a metric - I’ve used codeigniter for small projects, I’m not sure how far I’d trust it to scale.

All those who could choose between PhpStorm and Zend Studio chose PhpStorm.

It was not a metric. It’s hard to objectively ask about that, as “size” is relative, so I limited the questions to just asking about a “live” project, something that is publicly accessible. That’s proof of real world use enough, I believe. Maybe we can go into more detail next year.

A co-worker is using Laravel for a project and has asked for code help on a few occasions, sometimes I peek at Laravel or Symfony code to see how they approached something. I am not 100% familiar with it, but I can find my way around the code. With that experience in mind… I stick with my own framework. I find Laravel to be horribly bloated. Reducing the use of static facades in version 5 was a good improvement, but it still feels over-engineered.

I would disagree. All that abstraction comes in handy when things need to changed out. Where as with another framework you would be left to essentially hack core. There is a lot of advanced concepts at play but use a smart debugger and you can figure out anything. Not to mention while you may enjoy working with your own framework I’m most certain the next poor soul who inherits it is not. In this day and age I don’t think it is very considerate to your fellow developers to use custom solutions, unless NOTHING in the open source realm exists because once you leave said company no one will know anything about what you did and it is doubtful there is any “real” documentation. I think the whole thing is stubborn to be quit honest when SO many great open source projects exists that are well documented and contain a large ecosystem to intertwined resources. Bloated or not the value in using resources with a rich ecosystem outweigh the advantages of rolling ones own code when working for a company and not ones self. It is a theme really… stubborn and inconsiderate developers who think about no ones besides themselves when they choose to reinvent wheels, move on, and leave the next guy in line to make sense of the mess they have created which *rarely contains any documentation. Which is why I preach using open source and reinventing the wheel because in the long haul if you work for a company when people spin in and out the door it saves tons hours and provides a more granular method of seeking out useful candidates. I believe the best developers go into projects trying to write as little code as possible leveraging as much of the existing ecosystem they can to achieve their business goals. Indirectly inheriting all the ecosystems documentation, community, etc for the next developers who come along and need to maintain said project. I just can’t stand this whole holier than though, out-right stubborn attitude of reinventing wheels when SUCH a rich ecosystem of resources exist, it truly makes me sick.

I too expect this result! But according to me laravel is the best php framework.

however, i still like to coding manually, no framework.
for example i design and use my wp theme at my site.
it depends on you, just suggestion :slight_smile: