Best practice for inline form elements?

It also helps to not use that type of thinking… CSS off shouldn’t be something you consider as an ‘issue’ at all, it should be the first thing you wrote the markup for. What does it do without style applied just using semantic tags and attributes?

If you’re not thinking about that FIRST, you aren’t writing HTML properly.

What does it do without style applied just using semantic tags and attributes?

It runs everything all together and you lose usability. Actually so are most forms controls. Association, especially for those not brilliant in visio-spatial areas, becomes insanely difficult for no reason. A forced break uses newlines to group label-input pairs for no-CSS. With CSS you can use margins and other things, and remove the newlines.

Here’s an example where proximity is assumed http://dubroy.com/blog/usability-mistakes-with-radio-buttons/ although it is recommended that with radios and checks, the input comes before the label, unlike all other form controls.
I can’t find the Nielsen screenshot, of a row of radio buttons where the order is correct but the list is a bit long and there is no proximity to obviously show a radio belongs to a particular label.

You may be correct in that we maybe should not be thinking of CSS-off, but when my connection gets butt-slow I think about it a lot. Maybe most other people don’t. I never, ever want to RELY on CSS to know how to work a form. I want it obvious at all times. But that may be because I’m stupid and easily confused by retarded forms.