Best resolution for logo?

Hi…

Ive been focusing on web graphics for over a year now, and only now looking into doing print.

And I suck at illustrator, but know quite a bit of photoshop. Would you recommend using photoshop for a logo?

The thing is my client will want it for all types of uses, from business cards to billboards. What is the resolution and size that I should use for this project?

It would be great to get some replies here…Please let me know.

Zoheb

Make it vector, so it is resolution-independent.
Also for web use, it’s not resolution that matters, but the physical pixel size. When you are using tour logo for a website layout, just make it fit there, don’t worry about “resolution”.

Thanks Varelse…

Yes, I know about the web resolution. Its the print Im worried about…

So I create it using shapes? Is text automatically vector?

Ive never looked at the vector side since I dont need it for web. Feeling the pain now :rolleyes:

Thanks!

If you use standard fonts installed in your system (ttf, pfb, otf) they are all vector. When final files are delivered, fonts are usually converted into curves to avoid problems with reproducing them when the fonts are not installed or missing.

And yes, create your logos using vector elements - shapes. Also avoid applying raster effects (shadow for example) - try to create them using vectors.

for print… resolution should be no less than 300dpi
you can convert fonts to shapes;

layer > Type > convert to shape

If it’s vector, there’s no resolution at all :slight_smile: That’s how the logos should be designed in first place.

Yes…Resolution depends on instrument whether its print or web…

300dpi for print is fine…

300dpi is fine for printing images. As mentioned, logos should be created as vector art. Most clients will expect delivery of logos in vector formats, so that they can be used in future projects ranging from websites (low res) to billboards and banners where vector art is ideal.

Getting into the habit of creating logos in vector formats will benefit you greatly in the long run. If you’re working in raster formats, expect to be re-creating some logos later on in vector when the client asks for the source files and is disappointed to receive bitmap formats.

Yep, using vectors for logos is pretty much industry standard, if you don’t use vector graphics for a logo, you’ll get a lot of negative responses when you start delivering that logo (that isn’t vector) to all the people who will need to use it for various materials and projects. And chances are somebody down the line will have to take the time to convert the non-vector logo to vector just so they can use it as needed.

You can use Illustrator or Corel draw for this purpose to make vector graphics. Whatever you design for print should be in vector art to make it look best also after printing.