Best Tutorial for Simple Contact Database

I am a novice web developer looking at building a simple PHP application with a MySQL database. The application will be a simple contact database, similar to a telephone book. The user would be able to add, delete or change contacts in the database.

Is there a good basic PHP/MySQL tutorial on the web (blog, video, or otherwise) that I can use as resource to walk me through this? Ideally it is a step-by-step walk through of a similar type application, including the very basics of setting up a database, creating the front end pages that would create, edit or delete contacts, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

First of all are you thinking of using this database for a real world application? Or is it just for learning?

It would primarily be for learning. Ideally I would adapt it later to suit my needs for a real-world application.

I would recommend PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja.
The first section of the book is exactly what you ask for in your question.
As it is a SitePoint book, you will also be in a good position to get help, should you get stuck.

1 Like

I was going to suggest the same book :smile:

Great minds, eh?

The thing I like about the book is that it teaches you a lot of best practises, such as using the PDO class for database connections.

It also gives you an introduction to OO programming and introduces a couple of patterns for code organisation.

Iā€™m not sure this is something you will find in a tutorial.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.