Best Way to Create a Large Site

Hi, I’m wondering what’s the best way to create a LARGE manageable website, without spending a fortune. To this point, I’ve created sites using a dynamic web template, but I know that’s old technology - where you have to open all the pages and re-save them whenever you make a change to the template; and I’ve also created sites in Wordpress.

But since I’m not a coder and don’t know how to create data-driven sites. I don’t even know where to begin, as far as creating a site over a hundred pages, where the template updates itself across the entire site automatically whenever a change is made.

I’m looking to create several geo-sites, where I have a dozens of different pages in each site containing links and info related to a variety of categories in each city. So I’m hoping to find a ‘system’ that will be the easiest to setup and the easiest to maintain.

I assume that once I know the best way to proceed, I can probably hire a freelancer inexpensively. I’m just not really sure what my options are. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Actually, as long as you know HTML and CSS, you are in luck. There are lots of CMSes other than WordPress that are perfect for your situation. Some are easier to learn than others. There are ones like Drupal, but my recommendation is that you check out ExpressionEngine. If the price tag to offputting, then a similar free option is [URL=“http://modx.com/”]MODx.

Thanks Ralph - I appreciate the tips. I’ll check out both software packages you mentioned.

If you want to have a site that is large in terms of pages and dynamics - I recommend a CMS. A CMS will let you add these pages without the coding mess that generally comes along with a large site.