Best way to get help

I am trying to teach myself web design and as I build my site I realise some issues that I hit are not going to be resolved without someone with experience casting their eyes over what I have done and helping me.

What I want to know is whether I am more likely to get help if I get the web site I am building hosted so that sitepopinters can see the real thing rather than just creating posts explaining the problem and adding code from my local files.

I intended to look into all the hosting options when I had done but if this will help I will probably do it now.

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

Oh yeah sorry if this is in the worng section

Actually, if you’re nerdy enough you can probably find some aging desktop machine somewhere, throw Linux on it and install Apache, and just sit your plain HTML and CSS files on there. So long as the machine is online, your pages are available.

We used to do that here, but later moved to a Virtual Private Server (VPS) in Rotterdam.

I think I knew that was going to be the answer, I suppose if people are going to to take the time to help me the least I can do is take the time to get it hosted and make it easier for them.

I did wonder about how to do the code snippet so thanks for that

It’s always preferential if people can see “live” pages so we can see any problems first hand, use debugging tools and so on.

If that’s simply not possible then posting your code with your question is the second option - remember for format your code snippet using the

tag in the post editor!

For a complete overview of BB tags available on SP see here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

For example, use [noparse]

css content here

[/noparse] for CSS, [noparse]

html content here

[/noparse] for HTML, etc

That way the code doesn’t appear black on white, but has color highlighting which makes it a lot easier to read :slight_smile: